Hi guys...

Having three 1/48 gunship B-25s (D, H and J) and kinda bored with the prospect of finishing 'em all in OD/NG, I decided to make a PBJ-1H... Always loved the three-color USN scheme and after seeing a color pic of one, I was hooked... But I have some questions:

- In most pics I found, the aircraft seem to have no markings at all, just national insignia... I know that some USN birds used really small tail codes, like "NAVY + 5-digit BuNo." on the fin and the aircraft model - "PBJ-1H" - on the rudder. Any opinions?

- Take-off/landing tests were done using PBJ-1H BuNo. 35277 aboard the USS Shangri-La (CV-38). Where can I find pics/drawings showing where the arresting hook and catapult bridle hooks were installed?

- In many color and B/W pics of PBJ-1s the barrel of all fifty-cals look waaay more lighter-colored than usual... Almost white!! Is it just my eyes? The cool rear cover of the "In Detail & Scale" book comes to mind...

- I know that the aerial torpedo Mk 13 wsn't used operationally... But I'd like to find pics/drawings of the torpedo rack developed for the PBJ-1s... Can anyone help me with that?

Any other opinions, suggestions or comments? I checked already VMB-613 great website but could not find what I'm after...

Cheers and TIA,

Sergio :cheers:

I recommend getting PBJ Mitchell Units of the Pacific War (Osprey Combat Aircraft no. 40) by Jerry Scutts. It has a lot of photos and has a bunch of color profiles that could be helpful in selecting a prototype to model. I ordered mine through my local, independent bookstore for $20 so I'm sure one could be found for a lot less than that.

Regards,

Ted Culotta

Edited by tculotta
If you could I know if you go on Accurate Minitures (spelling) will be releasing one soon, but I know there is PBJ built under the Props section of ARC Galleries section.

HTH

Stanton

Thanks, Stanton... I checked AM's website and they are indeed releasing a PBJ-1, but it's a B version... My kit is an old Monogram B-25H with the 75mm cannon... But their kit looks beautiful and it has the Mk 13 torpedo... Who knows? Maybe with some luck I can get one... The B-25 kits made by AM go for about US$ 125.00 here in Brazil... :D

Cheers,

Sergio :D

I recommend getting PBJ Mitchell Units of the Pacific War (Osprey Combat Aircraft no. 40) by Jerry Scutts. It has a lot of photos and has a bunch of color profiles that could be helpful in selecting a prototype to model. I ordered mine through my local, independent bookstore for $20 so I'm sure one could be found for a lot less than that.

Regards,

Ted Culotta

Thanks for the tip, Ted!! Book is on the way...

Cheers,

Hi Sergio,

howzit?

The guns most likely are parkerized, the finish can vary from very light to very dark grey.

Cheers, Jon

Hey JCF!! What's up?!?

Parkerized, huh? Let me ask you: does it have a metalic sheen or is it flat?

Didn't forget that .30-cal for "Tondelayo"... When I start it I'll e-mail you... :D

Cheers!!

I believe that the Warbird Tech book on the B-25 as a picture of a G in Desert Pink over Neutral Grey. North Africa. No unit listed. Will track it down later. Sorry, it is not an H.

Best wishes,

Grant

Tnx, Grant... I like the desert Mitchells, but the Pacific scheme is a real beauty!!

Thanks anyway!!

Cheers,

Hey JCF!! What's up?!?

Parkerized, huh? Let me ask you: does it have a metalic sheen or is it flat?

Didn't forget that .30-cal for "Tondelayo"... When I start it I'll e-mail you... :thumbsup:

Cheers!!

Sergio :blink:

SOS Sergio, SOS. :D

The finish is pretty much dead flat, yet still has a subtle metallic sheen. Try some steel metallizer mixed with light grey.

Tondelayo's gun awaits, sitting in its little package pining for a sunnier clime. :whistle:

Cheers, Jon