Stripping paint

Guest DemonCleaner

Guest DemonCleaner

Hello there!

A couple of years ago, my mum gave me the F-15 Strike Eagle kit, by Revell, in 1/32, because I was revalidating from a soccer accident(Ruptured knee ligaments, ouch!).

I painted the model with spray cans and brushes. To put briefly, the painting sucks. .

Now I want to strip off the paint, but I don't know how to do it.

I've read the topic in tools 'n tips, but i'm a little affraid to use biting chemicals like oven cleaners.

Are there other alternatives?

Bear in mind that I live in Belgium. Strip-a-Kit and other paint removers are hard to find here.

Greetings,

The New Guy, the newbie, aka DemonCleaner

Hey there!

Don't worry about the oven cleaner. It does have some pretty nasty fumes so do this in a well ventilated area and wear gloves and goggles. I strip my models in the bathtub as there is a good sized window above the tub, and I can rinse the parts down as I go along. The oven cleaner will not harm the plastic at all, worse case scenario is it may eat away some of the glue causing a few parts to come loose. I've done it many times and have never had any trouble.

hth.

Demon, Like Charlie said the oven cleaner works really well. I do it in the bathtub also becuase when you scrub the model it can make a mess. I've done this 3 or 4 times, sometimes leaving the oven cleaner on the model for over an hour and have had no problems with it attacking the plastic.

Just make sure that the cleaner doesn't end up in areas that you can't repaint later like the cockpit. I find that with oven cleaner when I rinse it off the kit the water and cleaner mix and run into intakes and cockpit and partially strip the away. resulting in me having to break the kit apart to redo the cockpit and other parts

Ron

Guest Guest_fouga23

Hi,

i live in Belgium. I use Bref ovencleaner in a sprey can. Just spray it on and let it sit for about 7 hours. put a new coat on every 2 hours or so. Works great!.

Greets,

Tim

Castrol Super Clean works. Just let the parts soak overnight. In the morning use an old paintbrush to clean the paint, which will become paste like, off of the model. Super clean will not harm plastic, I have let a model in the solution for a month without a problem. Some tube glues will dissolve in the superclean.

If you use this method, you will need to be sure that you get the Castol Super Clean that is NOT for wheels, I beleve that the one you want is in a purple bottle. You will also need a container to hold the solution in, you can reuse this solution many times.

Brake fluid can also be used, BUT be aware that Brake Fluid WILL dissolve plastic :cheers: so it is not recommended.

As with everything else, make sure that you use this method in a well ventilated area, or outside is even better, and wear gloves and a mask. Make sure that when you are finished stripping the model you wash it well with soap and water, I usually let it soak overnight in soapy water and wash it the next day, then let the model airdry and give it a quick whip down with rubbing alcohol to ensure all resude is gone.

Just a heads up, if you use this method on automotive models, you will remove the chrome plating as well, I learned this the hard way.

HTH

-Chris

Guest DemonCleaner

Well, I went to the Carrefour and I bought a bottle of Nail polish remover. The one without acetone.

It worked. I've put remover on a paper towel and after 2 hours or so i soaked the parts in hot water, with some washing detergent in it, and with a little bit of rubbing and scrubbing the paint came off. Well, most of it, to be precise. Now I'm going to do the same process untill all paint is removed.

Thanx for the quick replies!