Any interest in Aermacchi MB-339A?

as you know there is an excellent 48 scale kit by Frems available so I hope these photos maybe helpfull to modellers:

714g749.jpg

This one is used as huck by 651^Squadriglia from Istrana in North East Italy.

On the sides of the fuselage there is a bulldog head, the bulldog is 651^ Insigna since Spanish Civil was when it flew CR.32.

651^ is now an utility unit within 51°Stormo that flew with 2 Squadrons of single seaters AMX.

6lt7bpz.jpg

I think a frontal view is always usefull to check the landing gears of your kit!

7whsphu.jpg

This one is from 61^Aerobrigata from Lecce on the South East of Italy. It is used for advanced training. As you can see the back canopy can be closed by a canvan for instrumental training.

about the date in this photos please forgive me it should read 04.11.07, I really don't know why my PC choose to modify it!!!

7yr08xc.jpg

Happy modelling.

Paolo

Edited by Paolo Maglio

Great photos Paolo

Interesting weathering on those birds. Not much in the way of panel lines but what there are look to be magnets for weathering 'crud' on the plane.

Is that close to the gray used on the Typhoon?

Also if those same photos would be taken in sunny weather would the gray look any differant? One problem I have had with Typhoon colors is that until I actually got the right name of the RAF and Luftwaffe colors, every shot looked differant in tone due to lighting, exposure or reproduction.

Matt

Great pics. And I'll echo j-fever - got any more? :D

FrEmS does a very nice kit, marred only by uneven/heavy panel lines. Fantastic fit, great detail, loads of options, amazing decal sheet, turned brass gun barrels, and otherwise amazingly good. Particularly since it's the first and only kit they ever did. The company *seems* to be out of business now (if they're not, I'd love a contact address - my windscreen shattered somehow, and I really need a replacement), but the kits do pop up from time to time.

Great pics. And I'll echo j-fever - got any more? :thumbsup:

FrEmS does a very nice kit, marred only by uneven/heavy panel lines. Fantastic fit, great detail, loads of options, amazing decal sheet, turned brass gun barrels, and otherwise amazingly good. Particularly since it's the first and only kit they ever did. The company *seems* to be out of business now (if they're not, I'd love a contact address - my windscreen shattered somehow, and I really need a replacement), but the kits do pop up from time to time.

Frems is actually stll in business but they made models just like a company hobby since their main business is another. A friend of mine talk to the owner a week ago. He said he is still thinking about producing a new tooled kit of F-104S in 48 scale. The project was almost ready with some test shots going around in Italy when Hasegawa produced their kit. To not try to fight with Hasegawa they choosed to stop the F-104S production. Now they are checking if there is enoght market for two 48 scale molds of the F-104. Their tool had a better engine, full Vulcan gun detail with metal barrels and much better decals.

Lets hope they will give the modle a try!!! Hasegawa kit is good and I love it but to modify it into an S you had to buy the CE resin ser which is expensive. All those tivets are also too much deep and it is a pain to fillall of them.

All the best to FREMS

Paolo

Great pics. And I'll echo j-fever - got any more? :whistle:

Since you asked for:

here you are again the trainer, note how the fluorescent orange band on the tip tank weathered due to the sun

73l6pfs.jpg

a close up on the same bird, darker gray areas are gresy area were oil stick to the grainy and flat gray paint, most Italian aicraft shows oil on them

82kz5ts.jpg

Is that close to the gray used on the Typhoon?

Hello Matt and sorry for the late reply,

Offically AMI has just one kind of gray for all its aircraft (the F-16 are an exception since they are in leasing). On Typhoons the paint looks smoother maybe becouse it is not made of metal (?) but it is the Italian gray not the same used byt the other nations. As you can see the paint is the same for radome and fuselage.

Please also note the hooks markings that Revell forgot to print on the decal sheet

89rcvad.jpg

I think you can check very well the colour here, also note how the Revell fuselage number are wrong, the center of the numbers shuld be light blu while it is clear on the Revell sheet, number style is also allitle different

7yi84l2.jpg

when the sun was setting the gray paint started to look much darker so I can confirm that this shade of gray change a lot to the different kind of light. The fighter took of at sunset and made a few slow circuits over the base, I can tell you the in the almost dark sky it looked as painted in very dark gray!!!

89vp17m.jpg

Many more photos of this aircraft are available on my CD (see buy and sell forum and search for CD).

Cheers

PAolo

Nice stuff, Paolo! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

That last Typhoon shot at dusk is gorgeous! And it's carrying IRIS-T under the starboard wing, isn't it?

Yes Moritz, it does

6t0ratv.jpg

:coolio::banana:

Edited by Paolo Maglio