Heritage Aviation 48th scale Pucara

I think I am going to bite the bullet and order one tonight. If you want I can PM you the details

I did a search and found reviews all over the place. One guy said it was garbage, but didn't elaborate. Another said was very nice with only one small air bubble in the resin. I also read some posts from the new owner and it sounds like he improved the quality of the molds and also did away with ALPS decals.

I have a copy of Model Aircraft Monthly, Volume 6 Issue 6 with a build/review of this kit and he seemed quite happy with the buildability and accuracy of the kit.

Air bubbles were an issue but not unfixable and the kit comes with no stores so you will have to source weapons.

Cheers

Tony

thanks Tony. did the builder happen to mention where he sourced his stores from? Seems like a lot of pictures I see show them with rocket launchers of some sort, but I am not sure of the origin.

Hey, Josh.

Like you, the pictures I have seen all appear to have rocket pods. They look a lot like the same rocket pods used on American attack helos with the aerodynamic covers on the front. Just my opinion. I believe they can be sourced from the Hasegawa weapons sets.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and order one tonight. If you want I can PM you the details

I did a search and found reviews all over the place. One guy said it was garbage, but didn't elaborate. Another said was very nice with only one small air bubble in the resin. I also read some posts from the new owner and it sounds like he improved the quality of the molds and also did away with ALPS decals.

When you get it, I'd like to hear how it is. I've wanted to build a 1/48 Pucara for a while now.

I saw one in the box not long ago, I would not buy it.

A very basic resin kit, and seems to be closer to the quality of resin kits from 15 years ago. It will require alot of love, sanding and detailing, to get it anywhere near the quality a plastic kit. No I am not being critical, only realistic.

Most of the Heritage Aviation stuff is very basic, but they do offer a few unique items that nobody else does.

Aconcagua Models from Argentina accounced a 1/48 Pucara a while ago, it might be better to wait for that, if it ever comes out?

Aconcagua hasn´t released its kit yet, they are having troubles with the main landing gear material. tha Pucará is a big as plane....I know that because I´m from Argentina and have seem live in lot of air shows. I´ll buy the Aconcagua when it finally becames available, it is the more accurate...

Rocket pods used by the Pucará are the american type with 19 tubes. Hence those in the Hasegawa weapons set are the ones to look for.

During the '82 war they used two configurations:

- two rocket pods on TERs on each of the wing stations, on the lower and outer positions, for a total of four.

- three rocket pods mounted on a TER on the centerline station.

The only other configuration used involved napalm tanks, but that was luckily only used once.

As far as I know, the expendable front fairings were not used during the war.

The Special Hobby configuration depicted on the kit's cover is unfortunately incorrect for argentine aircraft; that configuration, with 7 tube rocket pods, is only correct for Sri Lankan machines.

Aconcagua's kit was supposed to be ready almost two years ago, but as far as I know hasn't been released yet.

Hey Jon, how about posting some pictures of your finished model? Would love to see that!

And I think it would be a lot nicer to include decals for wartime/peacetime "operational" aircraft rather than that silly, totally unrepresentative, 25th Anniversary "airliner" scheme (vomit emoticon should go here, but can't find it)!

EDIT: scroll down the page in this link and you will find some pics of the Heritage Models kit:

http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/148_kits.htm

Just my 2 cents worth.

:whistle:

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom
Rocket pods used by the Pucará are the american type with 19 tubes. Hence those in the Hasegawa weapons set are the ones to look for.

During the '82 war they used two configurations:

- two rocket pods on TERs on each of the wing stations, on the lower and outer positions, for a total of four.

- three rocket pods mounted on a TER on the centerline station.

The only other configuration used involved napalm tanks, but that was luckily only used once.

As far as I know, the expendable front fairings were not used during the war.

The Special Hobby configuration depicted on the kit's cover is unfortunately incorrect for argentine aircraft; that configuration, with 7 tube rocket pods, is only correct for Sri Lankan machines.

Aconcagua's kit was supposed to be ready almost two years ago, but as far as I know hasn't been released yet.

Hey Jon, how about posting some pictures of your finished model? Would love to see that!

And I think it would be a lot nicer to include decals for wartime/peacetime "operational" aircraft rather than that silly, totally unrepresentative, 25th Anniversary "airliner" scheme (vomit emoticon should go here, but can't find it)!

EDIT: scroll down the page in this link and you will find some pics of the Heritage Models kit:

http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/148_kits.htm

Just my 2 cents worth.

:wacko:

Jorge.

You mean this one, Jorge? sick0021.gif

By the way. I have a question for you.

Once upon a time, I had a link to a South American modeling site. I don't believe it was an IPMS site but, an independent site. They covered just about all of the South American militaries. They had a lot of research material and models.

One of the models that caught my attention was a conversion that one of the contributors was doing. He was converting either a Aeritalia/Alenia G.222 or a Transall C-160 to a C-123. As I stated, I HAD the link and now I can't find it anywhere!!! Can you possibly steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Randie