Carpet Monster strikes again

Well, last Sunday was the day I could do no right, model wise. Among the screw-ups was my in-progress 1/48 X-1 crashing to the ground while on a trip down to the paint shop in the basement. Luckily there was no major structural damage (popped the canopy and entry hatch off - easily replaced) but the pitot tube was knocked off and spirited away by our favorite shag-dwelling plastivore.

Unfortunately, the part is not simply a straight tube, but also incorporates the tip of the fuselage. I've been having a heck of a time trying to recreate the part and could use some suggestions as to appropriate scratchbuilding methods. I tried using the tapered part of a stretched sprue a couple of times, glued straight on and also reinforced with a small wire, but it breaks right off while shaping it to fit.

2000503876606407945_rs.jpg

Looks like one of those flower-sucking moths, doesn't it? :woot.gif:

I have thought about trying to find tubing of the correct diameters to recreate the pitot, then fairing it in with Milliput or putty. But before going to the trouble and expense of trying to find suitable tubing I thought I'd see if the ARC modeling geniuses might have a better idea. Here's a pic of what I need to build.

2002343475337765351_rs.jpg

Any suggestions welcomed.

:thumbsup:

I have thought about trying to find tubing of the correct diameters to recreate the pitot, then fairing it in with Milliput or putty. But before going to the trouble and expense of trying to find suitable tubing I thought I'd see if the ARC modeling geniuses might have a better idea. Here's a pic of what I need to build.

This is what I do, far stronger than styrene and stays straight even if bumped.

I use stainless steel hypodermic tubing (the kind they make needles out of), available from various suppliers.

I also use various diameters of brass tubing sleeved into each other, you can bevel the end of the larger tube to get the stepped-down effect.

Ken

Hypodermic tubing, is that the same as syringe needles? I am using those. Just go to the drug store, assure them I don´t do drugs :huh: and buy various sizes. Judging by your pictures, I would take a 0.4 or 0.5mm needle push a smaller needle in the front and voila. Works perfectly and you can actually hold your model on the pitot for painting that´s how strong it is.

Pierre

Many thanks for the suggestions, guys. Guess the hypo tubing is the way to go. Good idea to check the drug store for syringes. In hindsight it seems pretty obvious :P . I've been looking at online vendors like Small Parts, Inc. but wasn't relishing the possibility of having to spend half as much as the model itself just to rebuild the pitot.

:D