1/35th scale AH-1W vacuform Canopy- Anyone interested?

I finally broke down and got the new (updated?) 1/35 AH-1W. Very disappointed as they didn't add nearly what needed to be added and what was lacking in the original release is still lacking. Almost a step backwards in some areas - for example the excellent instructions in the original release have been replaced with a very rudimentary sheet. I'll try to comment more on the changes and shortfalls later.

Anyway, comparing all three (original, new NTS kit, and the cobra company NTS Upgrade): The NTS kit does not have the higher nose or the raised (higher) canopy rails talked about earlier in this thread. However, the nose is a little higher than the Cobra company nose and the angle on the side plexi panels goes back a little more towards aft. What this means is that you can't have one canopy that would fit both the new kit and the Cobra Company nose. You could however trim a canopy back from the Cobra Company angle to the new kit angle - or trim progressively back - from original kit, to CC upgrade, to new kit.

Personally, I don't see a need for a canopy that would fit the new kit exclusively as you would still need to buy the Cobra Company upgrade (the new kit is lacking an accurate new front cockpit, etc). Seems like most of us who would be anal enough to buy an aftermarket canopy would also want an accurate cockpit, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad news: My master pattern maker for the AH-1G canopy has decided not to do the 1/35th scale AH-1W canopy. So now I'm looking for a good pattern maker that Falcon Canopy is willing to work with. Sorry to have gotten everyone's hopes up, but it ain't over yet. Please standby.

Floyd

• 6 years later...

Did this ever get resolved?, I'd definately get two, since I bought two of the G model canopies..

Actually I wasn't going to say anything but..

The 1/35th scale AH-1W canopy should be arriving at Falcon Industries for some work prior to vacuforming. Klaus did awesome work. The theory is that it will be molded to the basic AH-1W (or AH-1T+). There will be no frames on the sides. The modeler will then be left to cut the canopy to fit either the basic kit, Cobra Company NTS or the Academy NTS kit as appropriate. The framework can then be added either with paint or by some styrene.

What I haven't figured out yet is how to replicate the WSPS or even if I'm going to supply that. I think it can be made out of resin and 'Futured' to the canopy. That will take some time to design though and will require me to have the canopies in hand.

No there is no release date nor pricing nor pre-orders. Falcon has to look the part over and then add the framework as he needs it to cast. He is a busy man so whenever he gets it done we'll get it. I hope and have asked that he have 200 copies to me by the first week of August so I can release it at the IPMS/USA Nationals. If it doesn't happen don't hold that against me. It is just a goal, but it looks like your Marine Cobras will have new "glass" soon.

Again no promises. If Falcon can't do it I'm not sure what will happen. Stay tuned.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.