Kill boards on IJN planes?

Hi all, got a question specific to this GB so I figure somebody might be able to help.

I've got the Fujini D4Y2 Judy and it comes with some nice ship kill markings, and some mission sortie markings (torpedos by the looks of them) and my problem is these are surplus. There are no placement indicators on the instructions.

I would like to use some of them, but have no idea what kind of markings went where.

Were the mission marks mostly found on the nose? Or on the tail? Perhaps under the sliding canopy? And the ship kill markings: Were they on the nose, or the tail, or the fuselage in front of the tail, or the cockpit. Were these kill and mission markings only on one side? Or did they duplicate them on both sides of the plane?

Mark,

The best thing to find if photo references of a particular a/c. Not sure about the D4Y2 Judy. Most kill marks I have seen have either been on the tail, or the reat fuselage, but this is on fighters, not bombing types.

HTH, YMMV,

Warren

Well the craft in question doesn't have them according to the decals.

What I want to do is make it look plausible. Not 100% accurate, but within the realm or historic accuracy

For the most part, the Japanese did not use kill markings. If they were applied, they usually reflected the kills for a particular aircraft or the squadron overall, and only very rarely for the individual pilot. As dixieflyer indicated, these were on primarily fighters.

My thoughts? Within the realm of historical accuracy, there would be no kill marks on a dive bomber, bomber, or torpedo bomber...

Ship kill marks on a dive / torpedo bomber may be morale markings applied by a "Special Attack" unit. You might want to post the question on J-Aircraft and see what kind of resposne you get.

Cheers,

Dave