ESCI 1/72 C-47 in D-Day markings

Steve, Jelle and DC10 thank you for the kind comments.

And now we are entering the home stretch.................

Spent the last two nites doing little bits. Tires, landing gear struts, props, enhausts, antenna, navagator dome, and more. Had a misshap along the way, was drilling the hole for the navigator's dome into the fuselage as gently as I could. I started with a small drill bit and then used progressively larger bits untill the hole was the correst size. Unfortunately drilling on any seam always brings disaster for me. I split the seam from the cockpit to about an inch behind the dome. So, out came the superglue and sandpaper. After I had it back into shape I rescribed all the surrounding panel lines and re-painted the olive drab. I should have shot a pic of the disaster but I was too focused on getting it fixed at the time.

Without further ado here is where we sit now.

SkytrainIP40.jpg

I am hoping to have this ready for the Indy contest on saturday. 5 days to go. Here is what I am hoping to do:

Monday: Shoot all parts with Future for glosscoat.

Tuesday: Decals

Wed: Seal decals with a 2nd coat of future.

Thursday: Panel line wash and all the small parts attached.

Friday: Final flat clear coat and final assembily and clear parts.

Gives me a couple days between each coat of clear for everything to completely cure. Hopefully there are no more "Oh please God no" moments before I call this one COMPLETED.

God BLess,

Ken

Andrew,

Thank you for the positive comments.

I am looking forward to seeing this one done.

Got the decals on with only minor roadblocks. Tonite I have done the weathering and panel line washes. Got most the detail parts on and as I type the landing gear are drying from a coat of paint.

Gonna hold off on pics till she is all done and I can unveil her in her full glory.

God Bless,

Ken

Ok, I just could not resist. Got everything done that I could tonite. Tomorrow I do the final flat coat and clear parts and crew door. Everything else is done. Sitting arround after getting it done and figgured I would take some teaser pics.

SkytrainIP41.jpg

SkytrainIP42.jpg

SkytrainIP43.jpg

SkytrainIP44.jpg

SkytrainIP45.jpg

Concider yourselves teased!

God Bless,

Ken

Sorry I did not post last nite, I was tuckered.

I got everything flat coated, went as planned.

Went to start pealing the rubber vement off the side windows and I ended up punching out every string of windows on both sides. So I took off the cargo door, cleaned up the clear parts, cleaned up the window holes on each side, and re-glued the windows in. Made a tool out of bent wire coathanger to reach inside and hold the windows flush as I applied clear parts glue. Re-attached the cargo door when I was done. Soo that was successful.

Next up was cleaning the parafilm off the navagator's donw, went better then expected. You can see part of the interior through the dome.

Clear part of the windshield went in with just a bit of wrangling and was held in place with more testors clear part cement.

Only things left are the clear parts in the wings for the lights and the door for the crew cabin.

I cut the light pieces for the wings off and started sanding to shape and polishing with a women's 7 part nail buffer. One went in fine..... the second, disaster. The part literally fell inside the wing. It had some glue on it so it was lodged in there perdy much perminantly. I went ahead and afixed the crew compartment door and figgured some time would help with what I needed to do for the light. I finally decided to see if I can fill in the gap with some clear parts cement. I have experimented with using it to ake small windows insted of the really ill-fitting stuff that sometimes comes with kits. I successfully used the glue to fill in the hole but there was no way I was going to have it ready with that technique for the show today. So I gave in to the fact that it was not to bee in God's will and just set the glue I had in to dry overnight. Hopefully I will be able to use the clear parts cement over the next couple weeks to fill in the area.

S this morning I packed up everything but the C-47 that I wanted to take. Had a safe drive down and arrived about 10am. I came to find out that was really too bad I did not bring it anyway. Guess who had a vendor teable at the show??? The guy who very graciously gave me the kit!!!!

Was very nice to meet Steve in person and I got to talk to him for a half hour or so in between customers and that was really nice. So Steve told me he is going to be up in Fort Wayne in a few weeks for a RC meet and when that happens I hope to help him out for a bit before work and show him this build. Wing light in progress and all.

He did give me some advice on the light about how you can use glossy scotch tape and carefully trim it to replace the clear part. Somewhere in the process I am going to try that out.

Here is what the good wing looks like:

SkytrainIP46.jpg

Here is the problem wing:

SkytrainIP47.jpg

You can see part of the clear parts cement is still in the process of drying to make it completely clear. I think after this coat is totally dry I will try out the tape thing and see how it works. Only problem is that if it works well I will end up taking out the other lens and replacing it with tape. ;D

Anyhow, I will try and take and post some pics tomorrow nite of the almost finished build warts and all.

God Bless,

Ken

Here it is, One C-47 in D-Day markings almost like I planned. Only thing yet to do is to finish the lens glass in the one wing.

That will gradually be finished over the next few weeks. In the mean time here are some pics.

Skytrain01.jpg

Skytrain02.jpg

Skytrain03.jpg

Skytrain04.jpg

Skytrain05.jpg

Skytrain06.jpg

Skytrain07.jpg

Skytrain08.jpg

Skytrain09.jpg

I found a couple of skills that I need to improve on with this build.

I found that even with a precision aplicator on my ultra thin super glue I still got extra on the surrounding area I was working on. I think that moving to a thicker glue will help but what do you guys use to apply the glue to the desired area?

The plastic of this kit was very soft and I ended up flexing the wings just by holding on to them. Some superglue helped some but not completely. Going to have to look at more bracing when I build another soft plastic kit.

I learned that all holes to be drilled on seams should be drilled before any paint hits the model.

Rubber cement does still takes some force to remove after a couple weeks.

Lessons learned but all in all I am very happy with my 8th completed build sence getting back into the hobby last Sept. Thanks again Steve!

God Bless,

Ken

Thanks A.S. for you kind comments.

I tried to fill in the lens with clear parts cement but as the layers got thicker it started turning yellow.

SkytrainIP49.jpg

Some water, a q-tip and Mr Gravity to get things softened up:

SkytrainIP50.jpg

I ended up using some clear gloss scotch tape and triming it around the light area, there is about 1/16" overlap on the hole for the tape on each side.

Stick a fork in this one, I am declairing it done!

Skytrain17.jpg

Skytrain16.jpg

Skytrain15.jpg

Skytrain14.jpg

Skytrain13.jpg

Skytrain12.jpg

Skytrain11.jpg

Skytrain10.jpg

Enjoy!

God Bless,

Ken