HI

Here are some WIP shots. Stoopit me did a bit of priming to see how my work looked ...

A LONG LONG way to go yet. I have started detailing the tanks and have an idea as to how to extend the engines ...

CC-130WIP001.jpg

CC-130WIP004.jpg

This shot shows some of the detail added, notably the rivets and engraved panel lines. It sure isn't perfect but I think under a coat of paint things should look okay .. hahahha

T

• 2 months later...
don't you know, that is the state of the art 1/48th c-130. lol

HI

LOL well, I was hoping for 21st century state of art and not art deco era state of art .. LOL

Speaking of which, the beasty is slowly taking shape, nothing uber cool yet as I am having problems with extending the engines ... umm does anyone have a scrapped 1/48 Herc that I can take the engines from to experiment on extending?

T

wing.jpg

Here's how I did mine: What I did was go ahead and assemble the wings and the engine nacelles minus the props, and then I traced a template (slightly larger than the nacelle itself) from the outline of the nacelle onto sheet styrene. I got the measurements for the extended -15 engines and calculated it down for 1/48th scale. Then I just made an appropriate number of templates for each engine based on the thickness of the sheet, glued them together and attached the stack to the wing, and then glued the nacelle onto the stack. The rest was filing and sanding to get it all straight. It went fairly quickly since the sides were basically flat, and the curves were straightforward. A little bit of putty to fill in the inevitable gaps and there you go.

It's actually pretty easy, all things considered. Hope that helps.

Edited by Dez
Here's how I did mine: What I did was go ahead and assemble the wings and the engine nacelles minus the props, and then I traced a template (slightly larger than the nacelle itself) from the outline of the nacelle onto sheet styrene. I got the measurements for the extended -15 engines and calculated it down for 1/48th scale. Then I just made an appropriate number of templates for each engine based on the thickness of the sheet, glued them together and attached the stack to the wing, and then glued the nacelle onto the stack. The rest was filing and sanding to get it all straight. It went fairly quickly since the sides were basically flat, and the curves were straightforward. A little bit of putty to fill in the inevitable gaps and there you go.

It's actually pretty easy, all things considered. Hope that helps.

Hi

That is what I "should" do but I grabbed a lot of detail shots while I was deployed and wanted to do up a master ...

I heard about 3/16ths of an inch is about right?

T

Hi

That is what I "should" do but I grabbed a lot of detail shots while I was deployed and wanted to do up a master ...

I heard about 3/16ths of an inch is about right?

T

From what I remember, yes that sounds about right but it has been quite a while since I did it. A quicker, dirtier way is to look at any pic of a C-130 with the -15 engines and see where the prop line is painted on the fuselage. It's usually easily located vis a vis some obvious landmark. Make your measurement from there. ;)

41758662.MC130HCombatTalonII.jpg

Like here on this MC-130H, you can see the line just aft of the third window. Those don't move on any of the 130s so there you have it.