IRST Pod for the Superhornet

Thanks all, didn't realize I'd stir up this much interest.

From the guys at Pax & China Lake that I've spoken with, the Rhino IRST will be used in conjunction with the JHMCS helmet (IRST will detect & cue the pilot / WSO) and will aid in beyond visual IFF & spotting. As for use past the merge, it's limited according to the crews I spoke with.

Back to the original question, does anyone have any photos of this thing yet???

Thanks again,

DP

Cool. So just file off the tip of the tank, stick on a Paveway-III seeker lense and scribe a panel line as soon as the curve on the tank ends.

Guess what the next Rhino I build's carrying? :worship:

Would be more accurate to use the head from an F-14D IRST, since that is what it is.

Yeah, nice find, thanks for the link, Red Baron !

WOW - One of the worst Photoshop jobs ever. Someone at the Lockheed graphics department needs to be fired! To actually have that as the cover shot of the project pdf! Pod actually looks like I thought it would :-X

Gotta agree with you Fuji, that top photo was done very poorly, I've seen McDonnell Douglas artist's airbrush work look way more convincing back in the day ...

Gregg

Cool. So just file off the tip of the tank, stick on a Paveway-III seeker lense and scribe a panel line as soon as the curve on the tank ends.

Guess what the next Rhino I build's carrying? :rofl:

ok, is this just to satisfy your weird What-if fetish? or are you trying to be cutting-edge? Because if it's the latter, all the speculation you've got is for nothing, and they could just as likely put it somewhere else... you realize that, right?

Is an IRST capability really needed? Sure its nice to have, but other than raising the prices, what true purpose is this going to serve? When is the last time we needed a BVR capability? And the way our ROE are, we wouldn't be firing on anything that far away to begin with.

ok, is this just to satisfy your weird What-if fetish? or are you trying to be cutting-edge? Because if it's the latter, all the speculation you've got is for nothing, and they could just as likely put it somewhere else... you realize that, right?

:huh: No...I'm not trying to be cutting edge...:)...aaaoooohhhh, now I get your meaning. Okay, well I was just saying that from the photos it looks like that's the case. The cutaway shows that externally it would look like a std tank with the tip replaced with a hemispherical black glass object and judging by the internal framework I'm guessing that the most efficient way to allow access to the internals is a nosecone-ish shell. I'm just speculating.

And I apologize for the taunt emoticon, it was excessive.

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit, it does appear to have a very good field of view in that location ...

Afterall, no location is perfect ...

I wonder about FOD with it's close proximity to the nose wheels though ...

Gregg

Countdown to sv51 nerdgasm:

:lol:

Yup...and with all the Photoshop literate people on here...he posted a pic of himself...I do believe that *gushing* sound you hear is the floogates opening...

Floodgate_clamshell.jpg

:lol:

Yup...and with all the Photoshop literate people on here...he posted a pic of himself...I do believe that *gushing* sound you hear is the floogates opening...

Well, I figure AnWan took his public mocking gracefully, I should as well (except I'll actually deserve my misery).

(EDIT):

Ohh wait! Guess what?

Derailed.jpg

Edited by sv51macross