Tips welcome, I´m going to try my first Bare metal finish

Hi all,

I´m a basic level modeller and contemplating making my first bare metal finish aircraft (Classic Airfix 1:72 MIG 21), I have a good airbrush but after hearing so many horror stories of people who try to make a bare metal finish and end up with a dogs dinner I thought I would ask for some basic tips for making my first bare metal aircraft. I prefer to use Enamels and have access only to Humbrol paints here in my city, any advice would be warmly received.

Thanks, Campos

Campos:

As I am a spammer....please report this post. used to say: "Just do it!"

Humbrol works pretty well. The single best piece of advice I ever got about air-brushing any bare metal finish color is to practice on another model or a piece of scrap.

For enamels, I usually thin about 50-50 with mineral spirits. Lacquer thinner is too hot. Wait 10 or 15 minutes to spray each coat, less if very low humidity.

And... :) ...practice on another chunk of plastic.

Good luck.

Rick in Maine

For any bare metal finish, regardless of the paint you use, it's essential to have the smoothest model surface you can achieve. You might do this by first priming the surface; you will immediately see any imperfections that need to be smoothed out. You might also go over the surface with graduated abrasive cloths (dry or wet) from 1800 to 3200. Once the surface is good and smooth, apply an undercoat of gloss black; this will give the final finish greater depth and reflectivity.

:rolleyes:

Old Blind Dog

Thanks gentlemen for the tips, I hear of horror stories relating to fingerprints, what causes this? (don´t say fingers!) :doh:

Handling models with your bare fingers can leave behind an oily residue that can interfere with paint adhesion. Also, your fingertips can "melt" an imprint into enamel paint jobs that have not had time to cure. Long ago I used to do NMF finishes with enamels, and they took forever to cure. I've not had this problem with lacquers. Regardless, I now wear disposable cotton gloves when handling my models.

Edited by CrowTRobot