Decal clear coating

I just got my hands on some older decals - the 1:72 CC-137 (Cdn Forces 707) decals from Leading Edge Models. They are quite old (maybe almost 10 years). There is a note in the decal packaging saying that a clear coat should be applied if they are older than a year, to prevent the decals from shattering when they are dropped into water.

I have no idea what product to use for this clear coat, nor how to apply it. I live far from a hobby shop, but late next week I will be going to Montreal where there is one great place for supplies. Is there anyone that can answer these two questions please?

1. What product to use?

2. How to apply (i.e. brush or airbrush, and apply to the whole sheet or just on the decals themselves)?

ALF

Microscale makes a clear coating..Clear Decal Coating... that is supposed to keep old decals (and some lousy new ones) from disintegrating. I have also used Future to good effect. Just brush either one onto the whole sheet. They may (especially the Future) interfere somewhat with the action and efficacy of the setting solutions.

Bob

You want this:

MS12.jpg

I've always put it just on the individual decals. Let it dry, and there you go. Instruction on the bottle by the way.

ALF:

This is what I use. I brush it over the entire sheet so that there are no brush marks / streaks. I let it cure for a couple of days and sometimes apply a second coat. I use Solvaset decal setting agent and I've never had a problem with it when using the Microscale Liquid Decal Film.

Mike

Thanks to all for your quick responses!

I will be stopping in to Udisco in Montreal next weekend; I will be sure to pick up a couple bottles. I am particularly happy to have the picture - just like when I go to the grocery store, I make sure my wife shows me what the box or can looks like, to help me find the right item.

ALF

Thanks to all for your quick responses!

I will be stopping in to Udisco in Montreal next weekend; I will be sure to pick up a couple bottles. I am particularly happy to have the picture - just like when I go to the grocery store, I make sure my wife shows me what the box or can looks like, to help me find the right item.

ALF

ALF:

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one whose wife is that thoughtful.

By the way...it' also very generous of your missus to allow you to take her to Udisco for Mother's Day. Very generous indeed!

A side trip to Schwartz's or the Bar B Barn perhaps? You can also stop by the Bell Centre and desecrate it for the Habs not making it further. Just a thought.

Mike

Edited by AX 365
ALF:

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one whose wife is that thoughtful.

By the way...it' also very generous of your missus to allow you to take her to Udisco for Mother's Day. Very generous indeed!

A side trip to Schwartz's or the Bar B Barn perhaps? You can also stop by the Bell Centre and desecrate it for the Habs not making it further. Just a thought.

Mike

:whistle:

Udisco for Mothers' Day...

The only reason I get to go is because we are going to overheat the credit card at Ikea, and get her hair done at her favourite Montreal-area hair dresser.

Scwartz's? Not this time. Moe's, Baton Rouge, others top the list.

And desecrate the Bell Centre?!

First reason no: :cop:

Some of your buddies might catch me...

Second reason: They put up statues with some real hockey players outside now - Lafleur, Richard, etc, - those were the days!

ALF