Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About ALF18

  • Rank
    3-foot builder

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Quebec City, Canada
  • Interests
    Canadian Forces aircraft
    WWII fighters
    Modern jet fighters (USAF, RAF, etc)

Recent Profile Visitors

21,163 profile views
  1. Do get the Quinta cockpit. I’ve built multiples of these kits. Sometimes like Phantom, with kit cockpit and resin seats. One with Eduard PE (which looked great). I bought 3 sets of Quinta for future builds, and have used their products on other kits. Fantastic cockpits. ALF
  2. I am awestruck by your landing gear detailing. Tiny parts, beautifully done. Soon I hope to tackle some F-35 models, and yours will serve as a great reference build. ALF
  3. Same here! I was about to start opening up Tamiya boxes, when I realized that maybe, just maybe, Dai's definition of intermediate didn't matter to me. 🙂 Personally, I've never had a problem with Tamiya decals. ALF
  4. Again I'm late to the party, but have tried to catch up on what's going on with ARC when I stumbled on this. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I now feel very lucky to have gotten to visit this museum back in the early 90s. I was actively flying CF-18s, and was sent to Pensacola for a Spatial Disorientation course after we had some of our pilots die due to disorientation in cloud. That course was FAR more fun and interesting than the centrifuge training I had to do in Toronto as part of the training we all got. 1.5 minutes at 9 G was no fun at all. While I was on ba
  5. Incredible. That dolt had no business being an instructor. I realized over the years as I left the military and got into civil aviation that having responsible, competent instructors was NOT a given in the civvy world. Sheesh. Makes for a good story, though. ALF
  6. I suspect night vision has made spotlights obsolete. ALF
  7. Wow, that's ugly. I hope Kinetic can help you. Early in the series of 1/48 F-5A/B from Kinetic, the main canopy had similar defects. They quickly mailed out replacements after modellers asked. ALF
  8. This is a link to the Plastic Models Store in Kyiv, Ukraine. They just announced it with free shipping. If you sign up for the newsletter, you get 8% off. I've bought from them a few times - their profit goes to buy much-needed kit for the Ukrainian forces. Worth supporting them by buying from this store. https://plastic-models-store.com/icm-53054-135-sikorsky-ch-54a-tarhe-us-heavy-helicopter?utm_source=sendpulse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sendpulse-dec-report ALF
  9. Well said, as usual, Mike. The resin set was absolutely required. Even buying the resin and the HC kit new, without a 3rd-person markup, the cost would run up close to $100. Now, for a much more reasonable price (Kinetic makes great products at decent prices), we'll have a better kit that already includes many more extras than Rick Chin's resin. The gods have heard our prayers, buddy! ALF
  10. Putty time! I like to use nail polish remover and a Q-Tip to shape it before it dries. This works for most applications. Will need a second coat, but better already. Remember how horrible the bottom was? Lots of putty required here. Coming along. I will be using Leading Edge decals for this one. I had a look at the colour scheme to see what needed to be red or black. Since I'm using a brush, I wanted to do the first trials on the underside, and make sure that the red paint w
  11. Nice souvenir! I gave my father's logbooks away to a museum, so can't check - but there's a good chance one or both of them flew that tail number. I love hearing about well-preserved aviation relics. ALF
  12. Thanks Geoff. I wish I shared your confidence... 🙂 Somehow, I will force it to work.
  13. As part of the intake dry-fitting, I saw that the lower wing didn't fit at all because of those huge intake trunks. That's why I chopped the things. I think part of the problem is that the cockpit is sitting a bit too low, pushing everything down. I finally got things to fit a little better, but there are still some big problems. The aft fuselage to wing join is odd. The arc is different on each, leaving a huge step. I got it all together after lots of chopping and dry-fitting. Putty will be required!!! Tops of the wings glued in plac
  14. Some of the gaps are incredible on this beast. I will try to clamp, etc, to minimize this one. In the meantime, I am working on those intakes. Looks to me like the trunking causes the outer covers to fail to seat properly. I am not a trunking fan, given that these intakes on the real thing just kind of terminate in a large screen that keeps the rocks out of the huge vacuum-cleaner style impeller (for the centrifugal-flow engine, not axial-flow like modern jets). Notice that I don't care about the mould leftovers much either. Here, I've chopped up that large assembly that was
  15. Wow, major gaps to fill! You're on the right track, buddy. ALF
  • Create New...