I personally use Zap a gap .. i have 2 bottles , one of which i leave the top off ( this makes it thicker over time) and the other i always seal ( keeps it thinner ) . Some people say Gator glue works ... my personal experience , i would never buy it again !.

I personally use Zap a gap .. i have 2 bottles , one of which i leave the top off ( this makes it thicker over time) and the other i always seal ( keeps it thinner )

Super glue thickens with the slightest exposure to air because it sets by reaction with water (water vapour in the air, of course). I bought a really useful bottle with a brush in the cap about 18 months ago, capped it religiously every time I used it, and it's still getting thicker. The only way to keep it runny is never to open it. On the plus side, I won't need to buy the thick stuff again, not now that I have a second bottle of thin stuff and can let the old one keep going over ...

If you are gluing p.e to plastic then the answer is yes . If you are asking to glue p.e to p.e , i personally dont know as i dont use p.e that much as acrylic paint doesn't take well to photo etch .

Hope that helps

To keep your superglues from thickening, put them in a glas jar with a lid and tos in some of those silica packages you get with electronic devices.

Gators Grip works with larger flat P.E. part that you can glue on to a flat surface.

Rob.

Edited by Robert K

Technically CA doesn't react with water in order to start setting.

[cue chemistry lesson]

The polymers in CA want to start bonding with each other almost as soon as they're manufactured, which is a problem since the manufacturer wants the product usable when the customer buys it, and not in one solid lump.

To prevent the polymerization, manufacturers add a very weak acid to the mix, this acid prevents the linking by sitting in between the polymers. Water or an alkaline substance will neutralize the acid, causing the reaction to start and the glue to harden. This is also why a lot of the cheaper brands perform poorly, the manufacturers do not refine the polymer mix to a high degree so they have to dope the mix with acids and other chemicals to increase its shelf life.

That's one of the reasons CA sticks to human skin almost instantly, we have a thin layer of moisture on our skin at all times.

[/end chemistry lesson]

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106

And if I may add a medical perspective to CA in eyes.

just leave it!! Yes, thats right do nothing, certainly don't force them open or use ANY form of solvent/debonder.

The skin and eye surface shed their outer layers over a few days and by the end of a week the CA just falls off and NO damage is done.