Soviet P40N, 2 GIAP, Northern Fleet

Here we go then with Matchbox PK-031, 1/72 P40N

P40.jpg

The kit decals are US so I have opted for a Soviet bird with decals from a sheet called 'Land & Lease A/C in the USSR'. I have no idea what make they are but they worked OK on a Spitfire I recently completed. Another Matchbox kit as it happens. :)

Hopefully it will end up looking something like this:

P40N.jpg

Construction is very straight forward and I haven't spent any time on the cockpit, the seat is not attached in the picture below, I will add some harness to the seat made from tape. I have spent a lot of time applying filler to the deep recessed panel lines and sanding the raised ones. The first coat of Green is on and looks ok. I used a very old bottle of Tamiya XF-65 Field Grey for the top colour.

Scrap06.jpg

That's where I am up to. I intend to paint the interior tonight and attach the seat, if time permits I will add the canopy and mask it as well. Bye for now. :wave:

Made some good progress on this one last night (more than I can say about the Spitfires - see my other thread).

Got the interior finished and the canopy on & masked. Then this morning I applied another coat of green and once that was dry painted the underside Tamiya XF-23 Light Blue. After a few hours I managed to get the first coat of Klear on.

over.jpg

Under.jpg

The only tricky part was the UC doors as the kit instructions are vague (or it could just be me :worship: )

Next up the UC and decals. Exciting stuff!

Aha. I've built this on a few years ago using the kit decals (the skulled plane of course). It was a nice build. The surface detailing is funny. It seems as the real panel lines are recessed while the rivet lines are the raised lines.

She is up on her legs. Credit to the designers, two very sturdy legs fit snugly into the raised locating holes. Even I could not get it wrong! :thumbsup:

UCon.jpg

Now for the decals. As my 5 year old just pointed out, 'the decals make it look like a real aeroplane.' Couldn't agree more. :taunt:

Decals on & dull coated: :)

Side01.jpg

Top02.jpg

The decals went on nicely with just a few cracks as I ham-fistedly manouvered the slogan in to place.

Slogan.jpg

I used some Micro-Sol to settle them down over the raised lines of the kit. The anchor, ace of spades and little red star are a single decal.

Side02.jpg

Now for all the fiddly bits (including the head lamp!) and remove the masking from the canopy.

Bye for now. :)

Thanks for the kind words guys, it is appreciated. I think this is why I like the group build idea, it really encourages me to keep going and I deffinately need a deadline!

The P40 is nearly complete.

P40n01.jpg

front03.jpg

Still need to paint the prop tips and add the aerial wires but that should do it.

under04.jpg

Bye for now.