While looking for parts (wheels) for my Mohawk, I found another kit I'd started and put back when I ran out of interest. This one is Academy's 72nd P-40N. It's not a favorite kit. I much prefer the Hasegawa. I'd painted and decaled it. It looked flat and rather uninteresting.

nz-3.jpg

nz-4.jpg

Panel line treatment, chipping, and pigments sure add a lot.

Thank you.

I was unclear in my writing. It was flat and uninteresting before adding a panel line treatment, oil stains, and weathering the paint. It really looks much different now than it did before.

From a purely biased point of view, I would never consider an aircraft in WWII RNZAF

(Royal New Zealand Air Force) colours flat or boring. :jaw-dropping:

One of our greatest aces Geoff Fisken (10 + kills) flew the P 40, Wairarapa Wildcat and a famous (in

New Zealand at least) P 40N, Gloria Lyons is a popular model topic.

Looks great, and the weathering, nice and subtle for the scale, the Pacific sun was

unforgiving to camouflage colours, not to mention the abrasive coral

Good job, thanks for sharing

Alan

Alan - rest assured I was referring to my initial execution; not the subject matter.

I have decals for the planes you mention. One day I'll get around to building them. The next P-40 I do will be a trainer in US markings, though.

Looks great, thanks for sharing.

A lttle history on your aircraft

P 40N Buer No. 43-23245

Arrived in New Zealand at Hobsonville Base, Auckland

Assembled by No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville and BOC (Brought On Charge) at Hobsonville on 09 February 1944.

WWII Hobsonville

Hobby1940s.jpg

Sorry there is no WWII history to give, most likely served at Bouganville until end of war before being returned to New Zealand.

Most P 40's were repainted on return to New Zealand in New Zealand equivalent colours of

Foliage Green/NZ-Sky Grey (Greenish/Blue/Grey colour).

On being SOC (Struck Off Charge) P 40's were stored at open storage near Hamilton on

a WWII RNZAF station called Rukuhia now Hamilton Airport.

Fate of NZ3254

Sold to J. Larsen from Rukuhia on 02 March 1948 and eventually smelted (unfortunately :thumbsup: ).

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • 7 years later...