Avro Lancaster

I'm modelling the R5868, the instruction suggested that the aft section should be left clear, but from the RAF museum it looks like it painted all over with black, so if I want to model it as it served in war should I left the aft section clear ?

Regards

JJ

I thought I might have had a contemporaneous photo in one of my references, but I can't find any at the moment. R5868 has been subject to re-painting since WWII (it was once a gate guardian wearing it's original 83 Sqdn colours) so it is difficult to say whether or not the radome has been over-painted in that time.

peebeep

Thanks peebeep, i guess i left the aft section unpainted then, as the instructions suggests, anyway what is the belly blister, is it some kind of observation post ?

Regards

JJ

The 'belly blister' is the radome for the H2S Radar which is a ground mapping radar to aid in navigation to the target.

I have about a dozen (I think) wartime pics of PO-S on my harddisk but none of them show the H2S radome in place.

Then again the aircraft didn't receive H2S untill an extensive overhaul during late '44 at which time it also received 'Rebecca' (aerials on the side of the nose) and some other updates.

Koen

Edited by Koen L

Yes it is but it's also nothing like it's wartime standard currently. It had been outside for years and has been repainted various times in the meantime so they could have easily overpainted the dome incorrectly during that time. I believe it was preserved at Scampton before going to the museum without the radome so who knows where it came from?

Koen

Edited by Koen L
It had been outside for years and has been repainted various times in the meantime so they could have easily overpainted the dome incorrectly during that time. I believe it was preserved at Scampton before going to the museum without the radome so who knows where it came from?

I absolutely agree.

peebeep

For your information, the reason that the radome was partially clear is that it covered the aircraft's downward recognition lights.

Koen

Koen is quite correct. The back of the radome covers two of the three colored recognition lights. I learned that when building my Hasegawa Lanc as I had to add the lights and made sure they were spaced properly. Museum photos are not to be trusted. I'd be willing to bet that the solid black radomes are mocked up ones made from metal or fiberglass.

Cheers,

Eric