Curtis Racer CR3-2

After seeing Wildcat's Gee Bee "Z", I thought I'd post my classic racer also. While not in the same league as his, for my first build after returning to the hobby I think it turned out okay. This is the Testors 1:72 scale Curtis Racer CR3-2 built straight from the box and brush painted using 20+ year old Humbrol and Testors paints. Strangely, the kit didn't include the race number for the fuselage, so I still have to find a scale number 3 for it and do a little weathering to bring out what little detail there is on the simple kit.

R3C2.jpg

R3C2_2.jpg

R3C2_3.jpg

I proudly showed it to my wife and 21 year old daughter and told them "Jimmy Doolittle flew this aircraft". Blank stare. "You know JIMMY DOOLITTLE!", one of the worlds most famous pilots". Blank stare. "Okay, you ever heard of Doolittle's Tokyo Raiders from WWII?" With this my daughter (bless her heart for trying), said "oh yeah, that's the character from the Pearl harbor movie that Alec Baldwin played". Upon hearing General James Doolittle's name spoken in the same breath as that movie and Alec Baldwin, I knew I knew it was better to just shut up. I later handed Lt. Col. Clines "Doolittle's Tokyo Raiders" book to her and told her she should read that instead of all those teenage vampire books she's been reading. Yeah, right...