190A-8 II/SG 2 Maj Karl Kennel

I've settled on Karl Kennel's 190A-8. I have the spares in my decal stash to do it.

This 190A-8 was part of a Schlactgeschwader that also flew Ju87s in the ground attack role.

They flew west to suffender to American forces rather than be over-run by Soviets.

Couple of background links:

General info on the surrender:

http://fw190.hobbyvista.com/kitzingen.htm

Photos of Kennel's self-crashed plane:

http://fw190.hobbyvista.com/kitzingen1.htm

Still on basic cleanup and fuselage assembly right now. Pics to come when I have something to show. I'm not planning on anything special with this kit -- OOB pretty much. I've gone nuts detailing worse kits, but I need an OOB once in a while, too :thumbsup:

Bit of a setback... Was brush painting the lichtblau and the entire subassembly fell onto a very hairy floor (cats and dogs, what can I say?). Had to drip some paint thinner across the top and wipe it off with napkins, followed by a soapy rinse.

I probably need to sand a little of the paint residue still there (make it smooth where the paint ends), but I've got the tail wings on, temporarily glued the cowl ring in place (for painting) and have put the ETC rack on (for drop tank later).

Pics prior to my little setback last night:

box_contents.jpg

cockpit.jpg

main_assembly.jpg

The cockpit is a total and utter joke. It's way out of scale, sinks way too far downward (into the fuselage) and all the proportions and angles just seem wrong, not to mention the toy-like detail. I'm not going to bother trying to fix any of this. I may just close the canopy, or hope nobody cares enough to notice with this small of a scale.

The external surfaces/features seem more acceptable, for an OOB build. Here's hoping it turns out good enough to put on my display shelf!

• 2 months later...

Haven't done much... Times rather tough lately, doesn't put me in a mood to build models much. I did somehow get the motivation to sit down and start brush painting a bit. The flash is harsh and pierces through the paint showing it thinner in spots than it really looks (I will touch them up later).

I've just done the basic green and some of the brown. I had to stop because I realized I need to have the fuselage decals in place for the mottling, and because the canopy rear deck shares the camo stripes with the fuselage. I need to get it ready and in-place before continuing with my brown brushwork.

paint2a.jpg

paint1a.jpg

I probably won't be done in time, but you never know.