1/32 Spitfire Mk IX.

Many years ago, before PCM, and now Tamiya, if you wanted a 1/32 scale Spitfire Mk IX, then there was no alternative to converting Hasegawa's Mk Vb with a little lateral thinking and creative modelling. On this one I'm showing you here, although I lengthened the nose, I somehow managed to not lengthen it quite enough. I don't know why this happened because I'd done it before and got it right. All I can think of is that something distracted me and I didn't notice it until it was too late.

Oh well, I suppose it doesn't look TOO bad...well, at least from SOME angles!

SpitfireIXKATHLEENMARYNo2.jpg

Here it is again in company with an Otaki 1/48 Mk VIII also converted to Mk IX. Remember, this was a long time before even ICM or Hasegawa turned out their 1/48 kits...

453SqnSpitfireIXsFU-MFU-VKATHLEENMA.jpg

For the type of photography I do with my models, I need realistic aircrew figures in authentic flying kit. Fortunately for me, many years ago I owned a large collection of wartime flying kit, so I'm very familiar with the various types and can reproduce it fairly well in miniature. Here we have the kit-supplied pilot figure dressed up with a Type G oxygen mask, built up with putty, scrap plastic and some paper for the straps. The C Type helmet has had its earphones replaced, again with scrap plastic, and had some refinement to its profile. The goggles as moulded by Hasegawa are a reasonable attempt at the Mk IV type, but these were not popular and had mostly disappeared by the mid-war years, largely replaced by the far more practical (and hugely popular) Mk VIII pattern. A bit of minor alteration turned them into the desired Mk VIIIs. Interestingly, the basic design of the original Mk VIII goggles is STILL being copied to this very day by the makers of motorcycle accessories!

DSC00322-1.jpg

Oh, and I mould all my own canopies too. There's little point in doing all this sort of detail work if you're going to spoil it with the distortion inherent in injection moulded canopies. Even in this fairly large scale they never look realistic...or, at least, I don't think so anyway!

DSC00348-1.jpg

You'll probably have noticed that my pilot is now looking slightly to the left. I removed the head, gave it a neck, and made it so it would swivel. I tilt the model and...hey presto, he turns to look the other way! There's no danger of his head falling out of the hole in the top of his body, of course, because the canopy won't allow it.

DSC00346-1.jpg

With my new super-duper high-definition video camera, I can also take still photographs. I'm amazed at how close I can get! Mind you, this is probably a bit TOO close, because it shows up what I thought was some pretty nifty modelling to be somewhat rough in reality.

DSC00320-3.jpg

The model's old and a bit knocked around now, but at least I've still got it. I may even get around to removing the nose and giving it its proper length one day. All the same, though, I can hardly wait to get my greedy little hands on that new Tamiya kit! I have a nice little Perth Hobby Centre gift voucher sitting in my wallet, which will just about cover it...Yippee!

Cheers all,

Tim.

It looks like a perfectly painted and weathered Spitfire to me. How different will the Tamiya Spit look in a side-by-side view?

Well, for starters its nose will be the right length! Thanks Silverfox...not too bad for a die-hard brush painter, eh? Airbrushes? Bah! Who needs 'em?

And...I've just got home from a quick trip into the city. Guess what I've got. Yes, the new Tamiya kit!

Now, will I make it a flier, or will I put it on its wheels?

Thank you very much Kalashnikov and Miccara...Larry.

Yes, I'll take some photos of the set-up and post them so you can all see how easy it is. Then you'll all be doing it and I'll fade away into obscurity! Hmm...perhaps I should just leave you to figure it out for yourselves, like I had to!

Seriously though, I'd be thrilled to bits to see others having a go at it, and perhaps even doing it better.

All the best,

Tim.

Thanks Doc and AV8fan! I do this sort of stuff in 1/72 also. Somehow I'm just not satisfied with making static models to sit on a shelf. Looking at what you're doing with that lovely Dakota, Doc, I know you understand what I mean. I want my models to LIVE...or at least to appear to!

SeafireXVNo6alternativecrop.jpg

SeafireXVNo1-2.jpg

Best regards,

Tim.

So Tim, how do you support the model while photographing it against the sky?? Or do you photograph it separately and put it onto a sky? If the latter, your lighting angles are all just about perfect! That's the downfall of many composite photos of models. The background lighting and the lighting on the model don't match. But yours are incredible!

J

Well, the models are mounted on glass and photographed in front of hand-painted backdrops outside in natural daylight. None of that photoshop business for me! These aren't even shot with a digital camera.

I've explained it a bit better in my introduction thread in general discussion. There are more pictures there too if you want to have a look. I'm glad you like them...thanks very much!

Tim.