Maintenance Stencils for OH-58D Kiowa Help needed

Helo everybody

Very soon I will start with my OH-58D Kiowa in 1/48 ...to this project I would like create my own decals to this small charming helicopter...

In my archives there is a few pictures only where it possibility see what stencils and where they are should be on fuselage, equipmnets and armaments...

If you have some good zoomed pictures where are really visible stencils please about help...even if you know what exactly writen in those places this will be very helpful aswell...

Thank you very much for any help...

Best Regards

Artur "Turecki" Pucyk

A Kiowa Warrior...in 1/48....I admire your ambition.

As for the maintenance stencils, not sure how legible they will be at 1/48th.

I note that there are a handful of them in the MRC 1/35 scale kit of the OH-58D, and only a few can actually be read...even at the larger size of that model....the others appear merely as dark lines.

I suspect at a smaller 1/48th size...they would be even more difficult to see.

In any case....I'm sure there are pictures and links to walkarounds that many forum members can post here...and there is a lot of information in this publication:

http://www.squadronsignalpublications.com/...amp;item=SS5550

Edited by Whirlybird
Fireball Modelworks makes exactly what you are after in 1/35 scale. If you talk to Joseph Osborne there, he can probably downsize them to 1/48 and he has full placement guides for the whole aircraft.

Turecki, ...if he does make them in 1/48th, let us know, ....please.

Keep us posted on your progress on this build as well.....

Edited by Whirlybird

Thank you all for this link for this Fireball Modelworks even if I will not find anything else.. this will be very helpful...

I already have Squadron Signal Walkaround to this helicopter...and indeed I highly recommending for all Kiowa likers because a lot of details over there

Whirlybird you have right stencils in this scale will be quite difficult to make...always I can only "marks" some words to look this "writes" properly...I will try contact with Microscale and maybe they are able print this in 1/48...

Of course I will straight away post progress my friends...and how you recon it will be a little bit challenge :D because practically

over 50% need to be scratched ...I will use old Hellers Kit with Kiowa "A" model version...

Best regards

"Turecki"

Turecki,

If I may make a suggestion, start with the Italeri kit. The Heller kit is really just a Bell 206 and is slightly undersized. It more accurately represents a TH-67A than an OH-58. I've looked at the Italeri OH-58A a number of times (I have both kits and will someday finish my TH-67 in my solo bird colors!) and it is a MUCH easier starting point.

Good luck with the project and keep us informed on how it goes!

Jon

Thank you Jon for info...that why when I put on schemes there was something worrying me about size...you have right and I have just ordered Italeri Kit..it's not expensive so ...why not

Best regards

Turecki

I used the Heller kit for my 1/48th conversion...did it back in 1995 (now being "restored" after cold storage..the kit landing skids are weak and I've broken it several times, stabs need to be replaced among other things).

As for the Heller kit...it is a Bell Jetranger with incorrect panels etc.

At the time...I used the kit I had, plus the best information I could find, which included my own walkaround pictures of two D's.

Today...if I was to do it again, I would use the ESCI kit ....and I'd do a more modern version of the OH-58D...with the squat gear.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/M...Warrior1-48.jpg

There are many challenges, not the least of which are:

- main engine compartment "Doghouse"

- new cockpit and that instrument panel and panel cowling

- the bubble top overhead canopy roof

- the four bladed main rotor and the attachment points to hold the weight of the four blades

- the mast mounted sight (MMS), and that "ball"

- tail boom and stabs, tail rotor

The weapons were, by comparision, the "easy" parts.....

You'll have fun doing the MMS "ball"...you'll start looking at all kinds of spherical things in your daily life that might serve the purpose..and once you find one the correct diameter, then you'll have to make it look hollow...

Edited by Whirlybird
You'll have fun doing the MMS "ball"...you'll start looking at all kinds of spherical things in your daily life that might serve the purpose..and once you find one the correct diameter, then you'll have to make it look hollow...

Ping Pong Ball? Bouncy Ball? Just some ideas...

Whirlybird, can you post pics of yours?

You mean the walkarounds of the OH -58D from the airshows and such?

I'd have to scan them and upload them to a link...

...my 1/48th conversion effort is (was?) at this photobucket link..also posted above..

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/M...Warrior1-48.jpg

Edited by Whirlybird

Ok...Thanks.

I was very happy with the cockpit......and the overall shape seemed ok.

It lacked detail in several areas...exterior of the doghouse, particle seperators would be good to do in PE brass ....the device for the MMS was rough and the main rotor was not as detailed as it could've been.

My old camera does not take very good close ups...I've got a new one and I may get around to doing some shots inside.

Hey Whirlybird great convert...really great job...nice final result

Jon please tell me again what differents in size were between those kits ...if they were more serious...I don't know if I will no start from same base...and start scratch new fuselage...because no ESCI or Italeri kits on market at the moment

Do you know maybe any good dimensions of real Kiowa D ?? to could scaled this to 1/48...Length and Height should be enough...same fuselage of course...

Oh ...I would nearly forget

I have got answer from Microscale Models and they could print for me decals in 1/48...but the order needs to be minimum 125 sheets of decals :wave: anditionally they will charge me for this 50$ per machine work/hour...

So I'am going to create this in my own in Corell and print it in Poland...what it will cost me about 15 pounds per nearly A4 sheet decal :worship:

I think this forum can get a ESCI 1/48th kit to you, one way or another.

The Heller kit can be used...(I converted it) the question is how accurate you want to be.

Do you want the "look" of an OH-58D for your own pleasure, or you want to survive the high scrutiny of someone with an engineers scale or calipers...?

When I built mine I wrote Bell Textron for information, what I got was a manual:

"Armed OH-58D Warrior - Program and Operational Highlights of the Armed OH-58D Kiowa Warrior".

Apparently it was a presentation made at the 46th Annual Forum of the American Helicopter Society.

It had a lot of tecnical information, (along with some historical info on operation Prime Chance) and a dimensioned drawing showing an overall length of 33 feet and 10.10 inches from the front of the nose to the back of the very end of the tail skid.

The height from the base of the landing skids to the very top of the MMS "ball" is 12 feet and 10.6 inches...the main rotor diameter is 35 feet.

I haven't compared this dimensioned data to any 1/35th , or 1/72 kit of the Kiowa to see how accurate the other kits are, or if the data matches.

You can do a couple of things to decide on what kit to use...take a copy of any drawing you trust showing the side view and adjust it on a copy machine to give you the needed dimensions at 1/48th scale, and print out some good 1/48th reference profiles and lay the plastic kit sides to it...(of course we'll have to do that - since you don't have either kit...yet).

I have both the Heller kit and ESCI kit and can give it a go ......and see what it looks like.

Edited by Whirlybird