Anyone built the 1/32 Trumpeter F-100D?

There's a photo of a completed F-100 on the side of the kits huge box and the sit of it appears to be a little 'tail-high', or not as nose-high as the real thing sits on its undercarriage.

Click on the thumbs to see what I mean about the real thing;

th_82893_56_3054_122_184lo.jpgth_82901_1128245_122_600lo.jpg

Are the metal main-gear legs too long or the wheel wells too shallow here?

I have the Aires resin wheel well set for this bird but from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be much difference in the depth in the wing.

Where does the discrepancy lay here and is it easy(ish) to fix?

Gaz

The main struts are just a little too long, but the tires are way too large in diameter. They won't even fit in the wells. Renaissance, from France, sells some resin replacements that are a little better. They're still a bit too large, though.

The wells themselves, especially the parts inside the wings, are actually less than 1/48 scale in depth. There's no way to fix them, becasue the wing is too thin.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
The main struts are just a little too long, but the tires are way too large in diameter. They won't even fit in the wells. Renaissance, from France, sells some resin replacements that are a little better. They're still a bit too large, though.

The wells themselves, especially the parts inside the wings, are actually less than 1/48 scale in depth. There's no way to fix them, becasue the wing is too thin.

Ben

Thanks Ben,

I've just been reading about the main wheels being something like 2.5mm oversize with the rubber tyres fitted - Apparently the rubber tyres are at fault not the wheels themselves.

I'm gonna have to see if I can find some smaller diameter plastic tyres in the stash, then go to work on those resin wheel wells to get a bit of depth going on inside the wing.

Wish me luck mate.

Gaz

The F-100's main gear tires were 30" in diameter, if that helps.

I had looked at redoing the wells, but you'd only be able to get an extra mm or so in depth, when they actually need 3-4mm. You'd also have to raise up the center part of the well inside the fuselage to match. Only problem is it will hit the engine. I decided to give up and just hide everything behind the drop tanks. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Looks a little 'tippy toed' to me as well. But since I don't built 32tooth, I really didn't pay much attention to it except knowing they tend to scale down subjects to 48th.

When the 48th D model hits I'll get interested.

Bo Roberts

Yes, the wheels are the main problem with the model's "sit." The struts are just a bit too long (<1mm, compared to Monogram's), but not really enough to be worth the hassle to fix. They're way too fat, though. Renaissanc'e's wheels can stand to have their diameter turned down about another mm or so, but since they're already flattened on the bottom, that may not really be an issue. Mine are going on unmodified, mainly because I'm sick of trying to fix everything that's pooched on this kit. In case nobody's noticed, I suffer from Too Much F-100 Reference Material Syndrome. :crying2:

The 1/48 kits have/will have the same problems as the 1/32 kit, except for the fictional engine and exposed gun bays, plus, the C has introduced a few more issues to boot. The F-100D is the same as the C kit, except for the different wing sprue, and changes to the tail: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/plamo/ Fortunately, you'll be able to substitute Monogram and/or AMS Resin parts for most of the things wrong with the 1/48 kits. Believe it or not, the 30+ year old Monogram kit is still the most accurate Hun you can get in any scale. The only thing the Trump kits have over it is ease of construction. Oh, and the early, narrow-crotch speed brake.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
I already have the Renaissance wheels so I'll just go with that.

Indeed, where would I find these Renaissance wheels?

Is there a website or a stockist somewhere maybe?

I also agree about the Monogram being the most accurate Hun in any scale - It's an oldie but most definitely a goldie!

Cheers all and thanks for all the info.

Gaz

Thanks, Ben. I'll go enquire at Strada Sports. If anybody else reading this is interested

in these wheels as well, I encourage you to do the same.... It'd be nice for him to get

enough orders to make it worth his while.

:cheers:

- Patrick

Kevin ordered the wheels for me last August. He doesn't just order the wheels. He'll order them when he placed a normal order with them. E-mail him and he'll e-mail back when they arrive. Took about 4-6 weeks. Nice looking stuff.

Hi guys,

I did a little test-fitting last night, since I'm finally to the point where I've got the struts on my Hun. It looks like the Renaissance wheels could use some sanding to reduce their diameter a tad. I'm going to try turning them down about 1mm , but I'm thinking it might be worth the effort to just trim the tops of the gear struts a bit to make sure the model sits right. I probably won't be able to do anything with it until this weekend, but I'll keep you posted.

Ben

Hi guys,

I did a little test-fitting last night, since I'm finally to the point where I've got the struts on my Hun. It looks like the Renaissance wheels could use some sanding to reduce their diameter a tad. I'm going to try turning them down about 1mm , but I'm thinking it might be worth the effort to just trim the tops of the gear struts a bit to make sure the model sits right. I probably won't be able to do anything with it until this weekend, but I'll keep you posted.

Ben

Thanks Ben, I'm up to my ears in Academy Hornet at the moment so havn't been able to look for any similar sized plastic tyres from the other kits I've made in 1/32 yet.

Cheers

Gaz

Just a question...

Doesn't Master Casters make F-100 wheels?

Anyone know what those are like?

[EDIT] Maybe those Master Casters wheels aren't out yet.... Please disregard this post...until they do come out.

Sorry....

Edited by Kalashnikov-47

I have another question....

Yesterday I stumbled upon a site that was selling a resin F-102 type

exhaust to do an ANG bird. I can't remember what the site was

and stoopid me didn't save it in my 'favorites'.

Anyone know that site?

Thanks.

- Patrick

I have another question....

Yesterday I stumbled upon a site that was selling a resin F-102 type

exhaust to do an ANG bird. I can't remember what the site was

and stoopid me didn't save it in my 'favorites'.

Anyone know that site?

Thanks.

- Patrick

It is Master Details, www.masterdetailsfromusa.com.

My experience : excellent stuff and excellent service.

Jozef

OK, I turned the Renaissance wheels down to the correct diameter by chucking them in a Dremel and having at them. I temporarily stuck them on the model, and damned if it didn't sit with the fuselage almost parallel to the desk! <_< I'm not really sure what the problem is, now. I'll post some pics after I have time to shorten the *^%^&%&^%$ main gear struts.

Ben

OK, lawn's mowed, I'm taking a beer break, now. Here's the Trump kit with Renaissance wheels turned down to the correct diameter (30").

DSCN3179.jpg

Compared with the Monogram kit:

DSCN3178.jpg

I accidentally tilted the camera a degree or so on the Monogram kt's photo. It sits even more nose-up. When you set the two models next to each other, you can really see the difference. I think the problem is Trump's main gear struts. The drop tank pylons on both kits are the same (i.e. Trump's are 150% larger than Monogram's), but Trump's tanks are about 2.5mm in diameter too large. The bottom of the two models' tanks come down to about the same spot on the wheels, so, if Trump's tanks are too large in dia., they should be lined up farther down on the wheel, if that makes any sense. I think once I flatten the tires a bit, it will look good enough. I'm tired of frelling with this thing.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown