Cessna 170 Restoration

Howdy folks, thought you might be interested in my latest project at work. It's a Cessna 170 that is going through a complete restoration. The owner wants it to have a polished metal finish, so this is what's kept me occupied for the last few weeks.

Before:

DSC01128.jpg

As of today:

UNI_1000.jpg

UNI_1001.jpg

UNI_1002.jpg

Sadly the LH wing has some hail damage and the owner doens't want to go down the road of reskinning the wing.

UNI_0996.jpg

UNI_0997.jpg

Fair way to go yet, but she's looking mighty awesome sofar!

Cheers,

Denzil

:rofl:,

What a gorgeous bird Denzil. It looks like it started out as an early straight tailed 172, if it's the same aeroplane. I can see that the main undercarriage struts have been moved forward and I'm just wondering if and where you found the rounded tail feathers to make it a 170. Someone scrapped a Bird Dog up your way lately? Congratulations on the job you're doing, I'm sure she'll look fantastic when finished. It's a pity the owner doesn't want to reskin that wing, especially seeing as it will be polished and all those little dents will stand out like the proverbial. But I think she would make a great photo op at Festival of Flight this year with the polished 140.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford

Keen eye Ross. She did indeed start out as an early 172. New tail feathers, belly skin, landing gear, and a bit of extra 'beefing up' inside and hey presto, you got yerself a 170!

The empenage came from a donor 170.

As much as i'd love to see the wing reskinned, the bit that is the most damaged runs nearly the entire span of the wing, so lot's of time and $$$ to fix.

I'll have the polishing done by FoF for sure, weather the owner's decided on motorvation, or all the other little decisions that need to be made (Interior, exterior paint etx) is another matter entierly!

Fingers crossed!

Denzil

:jaw-dropping:, Hi Denzil,

Thanks mate. The eye comes from a keen interest in general aviation. By the way, where is this beauty located? Toowoomba, Archerfield, Caboolture? Good to see these older classics being restored. There's an older straight tailed 172 visits Luskintyre most weekends. The paint is a bit faded but I like the colour scheme. A new coat of paint and a bit of upolstery work would have her looking like new in no time.

:thumbsup:,

Ross.

For the time being she'll be based somewhere in the Darling Downs (Toowoomba) region. Im not sure exactly where. As long as she sees plenty of flight time, i wont mind!

We've got an older 172 up here too in exactly the same condition as 'yours'. I think they look so ungainly, each to their own i suppose!

Denzil

• 9 months later...
For the time being she'll be based somewhere in the Darling Downs (Toowoomba) region. Im not sure exactly where. As long as she sees plenty of flight time, i wont mind!

We've got an older 172 up here too in exactly the same condition as 'yours'. I think they look so ungainly, each to their own i suppose!

Denzil

Denzil,

Was she damaged or affected by the floods in Toowoomba do you know?