Hello all,

I'm working on a Do-335A-12 for the Trainer GB here on ARC, and have run into a bit of a question. I'm without a LHS in reasonable driving distance (closest is around 90 miles) and have to get by with the supplies available at the local "Hobby Lobby". Now, on to the question. According to most of the pics, info, and Tamiya's instruction sheet, the lower surfaces of the Pfeil were all painted in "Hellblau" -Referenced as Tamiya's AS-5. Well, I bought a little bottle of what I think is the closest I'll get without ordering something, or taking an hour and a half drive.

Now, in looking at this color chip, it appears WAY too blue to me, but the actual product, once applied and thinned looks juuuust about right. The paint is by Delta, in their Ceramcoat line...color is called "Blissful Blue" - Ironic that it's going on a Nazi bird, eh? So, all you WW2 Luftwaffe fans out there, what's the verdict? Is this a "It looks alright, go for it" or is there a better option that I could dig up at Hobby Lobby/Michaels that you'd know of?

Thanks!

Jay

BBO.gif

P6180036-1.jpg

Factory drawings indicate most had RLM65 (Hellblau) undersides with RLM81 (Braunviolett) and RLM82 (Hellgrun) splinter camo on the top and fuselage sides, although some use RLM76 (Lichtblau) for the undersides to depict fading of the original paint.

Greg

Factory drawings indicate most had RLM65 (Hellblau) undersides with RLM81 (Braunviolett) and RLM82 (Hellgrun) splinter camo on the top and fuselage sides, although some use RLM76 (Lichtblau) for the undersides to depict fading of the original paint.

Greg

Thanks for the help Greg, I must have misstated my original question, in that the color I airbrushed on tonight was the only reasonable substitution I could find at my local Hobby Lobby. The main idea I was trying to get across, is the example I provided (paint chip) and the paint on the wing of my model, are those acceptable as the color known as "HellBlau" Or even "Lichtblau" because I am nowhere near a shop that sells paint labelled as either of those. Anyway, I do appreciate your help, anyone have any ideas on my revised question?

I am not a color expert, but if the bottom is supposed to be RLM 65, that color chips looks reasonably close. RLM 65 is a bit darker then RLM 76, another common German light blue.

Jay,

The color chip looks just fine. Again, it's almost more a matter of what you want to depict. Again, I've seen quite a few builders opt for RLM76, which is far lighter than RLM65. From what I can see in the picture I don't think you'd have anyone raise an eyebrow one way or the other as it looks just fine. :thumbsup:

Greg

Even in Germany (any era) paint color matching was and is no better than it was/is anywhere else, and this is especially true in a wartime, when supplies of raw materials can be problematic. Furthermore, the paint is only a match to the chip (assuming it was in the first place) on the factory floor. It starts to change the instant the plane leaves the paint shop.

So if the color looks close, it's close enough, period. The only concern is that sometimes paints do weather to darker, rather than lighter shades (US olive drabs and greens being notorious for this). But generally, paints weather to lighter, or less saturated, shades.

And if a paint nazi puts an RLM chip up to your model and says it's the wrong color, the correct and polite response is uncontrolled laughter… :thumbsup:

So if the color looks close, it's close enough, period.....

And if a paint nazi puts an RLM chip up to your model and says it's the wrong color, the correct and polite response is uncontrolled laughter… :(

Hahahahah....

That was pretty much my thought about the whole thing, I just wanted to make sure that it looked close to more than my eyes. Still gotta love the name "Blissful Blue" going on a warbird.

Thanks to everyone that responded. Pics of the build in progress and once its' completed will be hanging in the Trainer group build!

Jay