Guys & gals, need more help.... found an old ESCI moulding of the MB326 at my parents. Apart from damage to the tail (for some reason I must've cut half of it off - done know why) the main canopy has been eaten by the glue monster. know I could vacform a new one or try to get an AM version but doubt that there will be any available (please correct if there is - its a 1/48 ESCI version).

So my plan is to cover the canopy with some form of cover (assuming that such things are used when the plane is in storage - alson means I can keep the cockpit out and practice detailing it outside of the aircraft).... anyone got any recomendations or WIP build that have this done? Thinking tissue paper draped over the canope and coate din liquid glue then cut into a sort of dropped shape - would that work? As this plane would then be parked I would look to cover air intakes and engine exhaust - prossible same technique?

thanks guys

There might be a way to repair the canopy tho....

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....1&hl=Aigore

Ortherwise I think tank builders use tissue and diluted white glue to make covers......

Good Luck!

unfortunately the fromt half of the canopy has completely melted away so definately no chance of repair.... yeah tissue & white glue looks like the way to go.... will try it out when I get time - least I wont need to worry about detailing the cockpit ;-)

Tissue and Elmers glue is the way to go, fairly easy to do, and easy to remove and re-do if you miss :cheers: I did it last week for my Tomcat. The link in my signature shows the process and the result, if it helps. To obtain a good finish apply several coats of Future, let dry thouroughly and sand lightly. Otherwise you will get quite a rough texture.

Good luck,

Arnaud

Tissue and Elmers glue is the way to go, fairly easy to do, and easy to remove and re-do if you miss :jaw-dropping: I did it last week for my Tomcat. The link in my signature shows the process and the result, if it helps. To obtain a good finish apply several coats of Future, let dry thouroughly and sand lightly. Otherwise you will get quite a rough texture.

Good luck,

Arnaud

Arnaud, actualy it was your 'cat that made me think of the tissue paper. I had seen 1 model with a cockpit canpy somewhere and then read your build last week. I intend to drape the tissue over the damaged cockpit and then apply the glue. do you apply the FUTUR before or after aplpying the paint. Thiking of a red canopy + red exhasut & intake covers... wont be accurate but will be another technique I have tried.

PS - ELMERS glue - is that the white PVA Stuff?

cheers

Yes, Elmers is the most popular brand of PVA glue here in the States.

cheers DH....... and any particular brand of tissue paper - assuming 2 layers of single-ply - is that in-scale for 1/48 (please note I am joking.......)... but seriously, am assuming 1 or 2 layers of single-ply should be enough.....

cheers DH....... and any particular brand of tissue paper - assuming 2 layers of single-ply - is that in-scale for 1/48 (please note I am joking.......)... but seriously, am assuming 1 or 2 layers of single-ply should be enough.....

You'll have to play with it. The cheap stuff can disintegrate easily, but you don't want it overly thick either. The tissue paper will snug down quite a bit so it may take two layers, but no more than that (I would think). Good luck!

Here is how I proceeded:

_Pour some PVA glue in a saucer and dilute it SLIGHTLY (~20-30% water, no more)

_Cut a tissue roughly to size, taking 2-3 layers.

_Put it in the glue LYING FLAT, leaving an edge free of glue for easy manipulation

_Apply on the plastic part and once it lies properly remove excess glue

_Dry with a hairdryer, carefully monitoring as it dries and contracts that it keeps the shape you want (Contraction is the tricky bit, it took me three attempts to achieve the right sagging shape but over a canopy it should be easier)

_Let dry for an hour

_Dip in Future and let dry for a few minutes, dip again and let dry for 24 hours

_it should now be quite hard, so it's quite easy to trim the excess tissue and paint :D

Let us know how it goes!

Edited by arnobiz
Here is how I proceeded:

_Pour some PVA glue in a saucer and dilute it SLIGHTLY (~20-30% water, no more)

_Cut a tissue roughly to size, taking 2-3 layers.

_Put it in the glue LYING FLAT, leaving an edge free of glue for easy manipulation

_Apply on the plastic part and once it lies properly remove excess glue

_Dry with a hairdryer, carefully monitoring as it dries and contracts that it keeps the shape you want (Contraction is the tricky bit, it took me three attempts to achieve the right sagging shape but over a canopy it should be easier)

_Let dry for an hour

_Dip in Future and let dry for a few minutes, dip again and let dry for 24 hours

_it should now be quite hard, so it's quite easy to trim the excess tissue and paint :monkeydance:

Let us know how it goes!

perfect! Thank you.