Italeri B-66B Destroyer

Finished this one back in September, but never put pics of the finished model up.

Testors boxing of the Italeri B-66B kit, with a loooong out of production Superscale decal sheet (72-567 for those of you keeping score at home). Overall, fit of the parts wasn't too bad, but there was a small fit issue with the canopy. A little "quality time" with SWMBO's hairdryer fixed that, however.

Overall finish is household aluminum foil, glued down with Microscale Metal Foil Adhesive. The different shades of metal are done using Model Master Metalizer, sprayed directly on top of the foil.

DSCF0599.jpg

DSCF0605.jpg

DSCF0617.jpg

And one last one with my A-3B Skywarrior (almost finished!) next to it for comparison.

DSCF4585.jpg

That looks very nice Mike, *very* brave to try that in foil in 1/72nd scale IMHO :cheers:

I remember the Italeri kit well, there was the B-66B kit which you have made with two decal versions, and an EB-66 version which was available in several S.E. Asia camouflage schemes. IIRC it was at the time a good kit to make and I tried both, sadly neither survive now however I do have an Italeri B-66B minus decals and instructions in the stash. Trojan Thunder, I am 99.99% sure this kit has engraved panel lines.

Mike, a few questions...

1) Did you use regular kitchen aluminium foil for this kit?

2) How did you measure each piece of foil against each panel? (I think this is what you have done). I have been experimenting with foil however I find the older kit's raised detail panels much easier to measure, do you have any helpful suggestions to cope with measuring against engraved panel lines?

3) How did you mask off the foil when you sprayed the Model Master Metalizer on top? I have tried doing this but it tended to 'lift' the already applied foil with disastrous results. Any pointers appreciated!

4) Once the foil was applied how did you get it to sit into the engraved panel lines? You must have used some type of tool however there would have been a danger of tearing the foil, how did you do this?

Any pointers appreciated very much. I spent a lot of time 'foiling' in the 70's and I have started again however so much to re-learn!

Michael

That looks very nice Mike, *very* brave to try that in foil in 1/72nd scale IMHO :coolio:

I remember the Italeri kit well, there was the B-66B kit which you have made with two decal versions, and an EB-66 version which was available in several S.E. Asia camouflage schemes. IIRC it was at the time a good kit to make and I tried both, sadly neither survive now however I do have an Italeri B-66B minus decals and instructions in the stash. Trojan Thunder, I am 99.99% sure this kit has engraved panel lines.

Yes, it has engraved panel lines. I've also got the EB-66 kit, and it's probably going to be started soon.

Mike, a few questions...

1) Did you use regular kitchen aluminium foil for this kit?

Yes - one roll from Wal Mart plus Microscale's Metal Foil Adhesive

2) How did you measure each piece of foil against each panel? (I think this is what you have done). I have been experimenting with foil however I find the older kit's raised detail panels much easier to measure, do you have any helpful suggestions to cope with measuring against engraved panel lines?

I cut the panels fairly oversize, and once they were burnished down with a Q-tip, I used a *new* Xacto blade to trim foil along panel lines.

3) How did you mask off the foil when you sprayed the Model Master Metalizer on top? I have tried doing this but it tended to 'lift' the already applied foil with disastrous results. Any pointers appreciated!

Parafilm-M. Wasn't fun, and I had to be slow and deliberate lifting it off, but it was well worth the effort. Since Parafilm doesn't have any adhesive per se, by pulling it back over itself, it tended to release from the foil fairly easily.

4) Once the foil was applied how did you get it to sit into the engraved panel lines? You must have used some type of tool however there would have been a danger of tearing the foil, how did you do this?

Any pointers appreciated very much. I spent a lot of time 'foiling' in the 70's and I have started again however so much to re-learn!

Michael

Believe it or not, I used that little part of a pair of nail clippers, that folds out that you're supposed to use to clean under your nails? The hook thingy... Anyway, use the edge of that to burnish the foil down into the panel lines. Use gentle pressure, and be slow and methodical.