Plastic Tote Airbrush Spray Booth

I've been thinking about a booth for a while and since the cold weather is here all of my spray painting has come to a halt. I found a plan on the web but lost it. I do have a basic idea of what to do though. Has anybody here built a booth out of a plastic tote? If so how did you build yours and what would you change if you had to do it again?

Just looking to make a small(20-24" wide) booth that I can easily stow away. Figured a clear plastic tote would allow light in.

Edited by Spectre711

Ever heard of The Eames Brothers, Charles and Ray? They were architects and designers and are most noted for their modern innovative furniture creations. Ever seen those curvy wooden chairs, pressure molded from plywood? They designed them, first.

Once when one of their interns was tasked with solving a particular problem, he went to see how someone else had done a similar thing. Ray wasn't at all pleased and told him that the thing to do is figure out what is needed for yourself, to "work it out." Then make it happen.

Im also interested to see what other may have done along this line. But Id be interested to hear what you have come up with, so far.

Edited by dahut

I think it depends on the size of the models you want to paint. I have one of those clear plastic containers with lid and used it without fan etc. when airbrushing a 1:144 MH-60 Black Hawk using water based acrylics (Revell Aqua).

I think there are some DIY plans here on ARC in the tips section, there should be even one using a plastic container.

Cheers

Thorsten

I did see some DYI plans on the web that involved two containers, a filter and a fan. It was set up as a down draft system with one tote assembled normally but the lid was cut to accept a furnace filter. The second tote had the bottom cut in a way so it could be attached to the first tote to act like a hood. They also had a fan mounted inside the first tote to pull the paint over spay and fumes down through the filter and out the back to vent tubing. I like the way the totes were set up on each other with the filter in the lid but was unsure about the fan. There wasn't a model given so who knows if it was sealed or not.

I figured two 24"x ? containers with the filter fixed to a lid. Then some type of sealed fan so no sparks would ignite the fumes. Then I could pump this outside through a dryer type hose and vent.

Edited by Spectre711
I did see some DYI plans on the web that involved two containers, a filter and a fan. It was set up as a down draft system with one tote assembled normally but the lid was cut to accept a furnace filter. The second tote had the bottom cut in a way so it could be attached to the first tote to act like a hood. They also had a fan mounted inside the first tote to pull the paint over spay and fumes down through the filter and out the back to vent tubing. I like the way the totes were set up on each other with the filter in the lid but was unsure about the fan. There wasn't a model given so who knows if it was sealed or not.

I figured two 24"x ? containers with the filter fixed to a lid. Then some type of sealed fan so no sparks would ignite the fumes. Then I could pump this outside through a dryer type hose and vent.

That sounds interesting. Do you have a link to that site?

Bob

Was thinking maybe I could use a marine blower if I can cheaply convert it from DC to AC.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...;classNum=11211

The boat blowers are designed to vent out any fumes in the hull that could ignite so they are spark proof fans. A 3" blower generally blows at 170 CFM and the 4" should blow about 240 CFM.

Edited by Spectre711

Thanks for the fast reply and the diagram.

Currently have a top mounted Grainger fan and it works very well. I'm thinking of re-doing the spray booth and mounting the fan on the bottom.

Your diagram helps a lot.

I think the case fans are PC cooling fans and I would want a more powerful fan than that.

Bob