Paint match for FS 36118 Gunship gray

I was looking through my paints for a match to FS36118 then I looked at my RF-8 wing which I had just primed with Vallejo model air grey primer.

On looking as the FS chips in Dana Bells book I think this is a pretty good match?

wing2.jpg

Any thoughts?

Julien

Julien, That should be fine. 36118 is an odd color to start with. All the AFSOC C-130 assets are painted that color on top and it fades to a chalk white looking color pretty fast. Our MC-130's at Kadena in that hot Pacific sun would look just fine till we got one back from depot and then you could really see how much the others had faded. Or, if maintenance did some touch up paint on a panel or an engine change you'd notice a big difference in the paint then as well. :thumbsup:

x6118 tends to be all over the map. I've seen many USAF types painted in 118 with grey so light it looked almost like Ghost Grey it had faded so badly. Don't be too pedantic about it.

J

x6118 tends to be all over the map. I've seen many USAF types painted in 118 with grey so light it looked almost like Ghost Grey it had faded so badly. Don't be too pedantic about it.

J

Cheers Aircommando & Jennings, was not being too pedantic about it, just did not want to go out any buy a pot of paint if I could get away with using the primer!

Its going to be for an OSAN OA-37 the pics I have seen of them are not to faded. I might add a dot of white to the mix though as its 1.72 just to scale it down a touch.

Julien

OA-37's from Osan...sweet! I remember seeing them there when we'd be parked on the MAC ramp back in the day. You could tape off those oval fuel tank panels on top the wings and spray them a straight 36118 gray and add a drop of white for the rest of the plane to show a little touch up paint after a trip to fuel cell. Just my .2 cents worth... :unsure: