Gaps and all, it's a model of a great airplane :) I want one.

Was going to ask what those curvy pipes that look like crimped solder were but then scrolled down enough to see labeled photo - cabin vent intake pipes?

Not an easy build but you'll have a lot of fun if you want one !

I am not sure to understand what you mean by curvy pipes :) . There are indeed some cabin vent intake pipes but they are located on above the cabin and that will be the next step. I still have to add a lot ot little thingies here and there.

cheers

antoine

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I spent time on some external elements. I drilled a plethora of holes on the lower and upper surfaces of the wing in prevision of the fixation of antennas, ventilation system and rigging (pics of all these elements will come when the bird is painted).

Note that trim tabs have to be added to the wings. Moreover AZ model had the good idea to give 2 left elevators, meaning more work for me...

Also, I added the access door on the starboard. I made it with 0.25mm plastic sheet, glued it and then sanded it to make it thinner.

img2539z.jpg

img2541l.jpg

img2540y.jpg

Clockwise: landing gear (looks like insects..), landing gear doors, bow compartment doors, right wing antenna, doors for the passengers compartment and rudder.

img2550xq.jpg

img2551cv.jpg

img2552v.jpg

img2553w.jpg

Next : painting ! My favorite !!

Cheers,

antoine

Edited by toniosky

I am in holidays so I have the luxury to post again today !

Below are a few pictures after priming (Tamiya white) and a few explanations for the happy few who would like to build the same model:

Top view:

img2558n.jpg

1: hoisting sling fixture

2:Trailing antenna fearlead

3: Hole for giono antenna

4: Handle holes

5: Holes for cabin ventilators

6: Holes for ABA-ABK mast antenna

Upper surface right wing:

img2561f.jpg

1: Hole for exhaust pipes

2: I emphasized the carving here to make things more realistic

3: I cut the tip of the wing for the lights

4: trim tab

Lower surface

img2559c.jpg

1: Hole for ground stowing

2: holes for rigs

3: Light

4 & 6 : Engine ventilation (?)

5: Two small thingies that are , I guess, oil drains. They are not seen on all pictures but I decided to add them to make things more interesting here

Edited by toniosky
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Just 3 pics to show you that the paint job is done. Now I am having fun with weathering and adding details that, I hope, will make all the difference. I will post quality pictures when the bird is done

Paints used: Gunze H42 et H325

img2567y.jpg

img2569t.jpg

img2571ng.jpg

Antoine

Edited by toniosky

That is some great work!

I took some of a New York Police Department Goose. Sadly, my camera was dying (it has since been replaced) so the photos are not good enough to publish but fine for modeling the scheme:

HARP%252520%252528120%252529.JPG

HARP%252520%252528121%252529.JPG

HARP%252520%252528122%252529.JPG

HARP%252520%252528123%252529.JPG

HARP%252520%252528124%252529.JPG

HARP%252520%252528125%252529.JPG

Regards,

Thanks Sharmouth :thumbsup: Your pics will be of great help for my project !!

Weathering is almost done. Still have to do the rigging and a few minor things. If I manage to do something nice I will probably do a diorama ;)

Bonjour Antoine,

... Ton travail est une inspiration!

Have you seen the Signifier's 1/48 scale Grumman Goose

by Laurent Soldati?

He did an excellent job too and his pictures might give you ideas.

There is a great shot of the windshield and canope with correct dimension for the framing.

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/grummangoosesl_1.htm

Hopefully this will help in your project.

Sincerely,

Alain

Edited by Coyote24

Merci Alain,

I saw his work and it is really amazing :wub: , but I am not sure to make mine as good as this one ...

Indeed, the tricky part with all Goose models is the shape of the windshield. Although I did not capture well enough the shape of the windshield (I will post pictures later), I think that Laurent's Goose has kind of "sad puppy eyes", which is one of the problem with the Signifer kit.

Salut,

Yes, I see that you have done your homework on this! LOL

On Mr Soldati model I think this is caused by the center post being the right width but the side posts being a bit too wide.

It gives the visual impression that the two windshields are like looking inward and downward.

I think you are way on your way to making a fabulous and impressive model.

I myself have been working on building a 1:7 scale flying model of this plane for years.

I found a 1:9 set of plans that are really nice and quite detailed, I bought those some 3 years ago!

I have since been in contact with the designer to scale it up to 1:7 and add some modifications, at the same time researching for scale retracts, wheels etc.

I also found a gentleman in Finland who has started building a 1:7 model from scratch! (using the original full scale Grumman plans!).

All this to say that you are not alone in this crazy and addictive hobby!

Cheers,

a

Edited by Coyote24

Salut,

Yes, I see that you have done your homework on this! LOL

On Mr Soldati model I think this is caused by the center post being the right width but the side posts being a bit too wide.

It gives the visual impression that the two windshields are like looking inward and downward.

I think you are way on your way to making a fabulous and impressive model.

I myself have been working on building a 1:7 scale flying model of this plane for years.

I found a 1:9 set of plans that are really nice and quite detailed, I bought those some 3 years ago!

I have since been in contact with the designer to scale it up to 1:7 and add some modifications, at the same time researching for scale retracts, wheels etc.

I also found a gentleman in Finland who has started building a 1:7 model from scratch! (using the original full scale Grumman plans!).

All this to say that you are not alone in this crazy and additive hobby!

Cheers,

a

Thanks ;) I am trying my best but I can still spot a lot of mistakes on my build ...

I am happy to find some other Goose fans here :) You project is pretty impressive, did you post pictures anywhere ? I find your project terrific !!

Antoine,

INCREDIBLE detailing and workmanship..

Enjoying this thread, :jaw-dropping:

HOLMES

Thanks Holmes :)

Edited by toniosky

Hi,

The beast is not finished yet. Anyway I couldnt resist to post some new pics. Most of the job is done now. I used pastels and oil paints for weathering. As you can notice I add to cut the decals to match with the real bird. I use Andrea Color flat coat over the paint (50:50 water). I find the coat a bit shiny but it looks very sharp.

img2576po.jpg

img2577h.jpg

img2578q.jpg

img2580p.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished my Goose :-)

That was my first short-run kit and and I must admit that I required a lot of work. Nonetheless, I had a lot of fun detailling and I am satistied with my work even though I can spot a few annoying mistakes. Also, I was thinking about doing some diorama, like a naval air base or something.

Hope you guys like it, and please feel free to comment and criticize.

24989919.jpg

59191135.jpg

51088352.jpg

34235233.jpg

45286808.jpg

Edited by toniosky

Hello,

Wow!!

IMPRESSIVE!

I love all the details and the work on the paint job superbe!

That is what happen when you build these models the builder is always aware of the little <imperfections> but I can assure you for everyone else they are impossible to see!

As for my project.

No I do not have any pictures, the project is still very much at the research stage.

We did make progress on scaling up to 1/7, there might be some work to be done on the wing profile at that size I do not know yet. Regardless if I go electric or gasser I am convinced that wood will not be strong enough as engine support so I am looking into kevlar framing (or CF) into the nacelles and attached to a kevlar (CF) front spar in the wing.

I did find someone who can modify the retract of a Grumman F4 to make it into a Goose (they are almost the same).

I am kind of looking for someone who makes scale radial engine not necessarily the Wasp engine but a 7 cylinders gas radial at 1/7 scale... just for curiosity!

I still want to do the functional front hatch but I do not think I will do any scaling in there.

I did build (quickly) half a wing, one float, the boat section of the fuselage and the tail section at 1/9 scale (just the framing no skin) a while ago and just want to use it has a reference.

If I can find the site (or if you Google you might find it) of the gentlemen in Finland who started one at 1/7 he is much more advance than me. He is not using the same construction method but his build is very nice so far.

Cheers,

I figure after I get the plan at 1/7 and have laser parts cut from it I will still have plenty of modifications to do and likely it will take ~3 years from there to build it. That is, if I can finance the thing!

Edited by Coyote24

Thanks guys, I appreciate ;)

I am kind of looking for someone who makes scale radial engine not necessarily the Wasp engine but a 7 cylinders gas radial at 1/7 scale... just for curiosity!

That is just crazy and I guess not cheap... I guess you are also thinking of making your project a real amphibious :lol: