Prewar USAAF P-36s, how shiny?

I've seen plenty of discussions about wartime NMF (kind of shiny) vs restored warbird NMF (polished metal).

I am looking at starting a Monogram P-36, and the only period photos I can find look pretty shiny, and the restored one at the Air Force museum is highly polished as you would expect of restored warbird.

So I am wondering what the standard was for a P-36 prior to Pearl harbor? Should I be looking at polished or just metal?

I haven't heard about using wax, but it does make sense that it might add a few mph.

I was just thinking they were coming from the yellow wings period with bright colors, and the aircraft were still pretty showy with the metal and flag style tail flashes. Unlike war time when they were just keeping the planes in the air, there was probably time to keep the aircraft looking their best.

Unlike war time when they were just keeping the planes in the air, there was probably time to keep the aircraft looking their best.

Even few WWII aces, like Robert S. Johnson, had their aircraft waxed, since those extra few miles of airspeed could make the difference between buying a victory round at the squadron bar and ending up second best as a smoking hole in the ground.

Cheers,

Andre

Weren't aircraft often waxed in those days, to cut down on drag..?

Cheers,

Andre

Hello Andre,

I doubt that the bare metal pre-war aircraft were Waxed, they more than likely were polished.

During the war many pilots had there a/c waxed because the matte paint used actually caused drag while the waxing cut down on the drag.

Flypaper2222

I've seen plenty of discussions about wartime NMF (kind of shiny) vs restored warbird NMF (polished metal).

I am looking at starting a Monogram P-36, and the only period photos I can find look pretty shiny, and the restored one at the Air Force museum is highly polished as you would expect of restored warbird.

So I am wondering what the standard was for a P-36 prior to Pearl harbor? Should I be looking at polished or just metal?

When first introduced I would say they were pampered and had shiny finishes, as time went on it was dependent on how much time and energy a squadron wanted to spend on them. I have seen P-36's that glisten from being polished, to ones later in there service life that are matte bare natural metal. Some had even been painted OD prior to Dec.7.

Flypaper2222