1/48 Academy Mig-29 Polish markings

Hi all, this is my 1/48 Academy Mig-29, pit and wheel wells from Aires, and cans and nose from Fox3tornado on ebay. By the way I really need to say how happy I am with those cans and nose, they are not the best in the market but you really cant beet the price, and Joe is a real stand up guy. Most of you are familiar with this kit and its short comings, add to that the poor fit of Aires pit and wells and lets just say i grew a lot of new grey hairs putting this one together.

The AM nose needs a little filler here and there but again for the price of both nose and cans i wont be complaining.

I used tamiya Dark grey and sky grey along with 2 more personal grey mixes. weathering was done with promodeller (Sorry Flory Models =) wash on the bottom and artists acrylics on top, then some pastels here and there.

Markings are from Aztecs Polish gliders sheet (not to happy here kinda thick plus the instructions ask for 24 of the little X markings and only 9 are included, go figure, besides that only 2 polish roundels are included so for $15 you can only build one AC =/ ).

questions and comments are welcomed thanks for looking!

dsc0670m.jpg

dsc0674zm.jpg

dsc0661o.jpg

dsc0677b.jpg

dsc0665z.jpg

dsc0678y.jpg

dsc0681s.jpg

dsc0687o.jpg

dsc0684x.jpg

Edited by Pep

Thanks for the comments guys.

Nice build, but it seems to me a little to dark colours, and most wanted anti collision lights on top fuselage and on bottom left engine bottom as well.

th_2007_05110017.jpg8542a8718137af24m.jpg

Thanks for the heads up about the lights, should be easy to do.

the pictures came of a bit dark, but from the pics i used as reference they seem to darken up a lot as they weather. here one of the actual red 77 and some others i found.

polishmig29.jpg

060610skpmig29011280x.jpg

Edited by Pep
pep

LOVELY build..

Like the color scheme and your build is very tidy and neat.

you have achieved a flawless paint job.Like the little added touches with the

cylinders, and steps ..like the diorama and the outside photos !!! :jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping:

Hehe thanks man, but I think the dio your referring to it the picture of the actual AC :) thanks for the vote of confidence though :)

• 1 month later...

Nice build. I still have the same project in a box somewhere, should finish it someday!

polishmig29.jpg

Note the markings underneath the wings? If Aztec gives you only two of those, they didn't do their homework very well!!

Wow thanks for the compliments guys.

The kit actually took a 3rd place and a very suprising 1st place at the last two south Florida shows.

Surprised the hell outa me and my club friends since I'm known as the club "prop guy" :tease:

The mig-29 is by far my favorite jet, I recently got my hands on the begemot sheet (50 difrent A/Cs) and I'm having a hard time deciding which to build! I also have the new academy AS with the "high res" digital camo decals from Kopro.

Once you get a hold on how this kit comes together it's really easy to pop out an other. I cant wait to get started with an other.

Edited by Pep
  • 3 weeks later...

Mmm...beautiful MiG. Only thing better than the Polish paint jobs is the Slovak MiG-29AS they paraded in the digi-camo. Spectacular execution.

Though dayum...I don't remember the fins on the R27s being that thick on the last one I put together! I could swear the UB I built a couple years ago had finer fins on the Alamos.

Edited by nightshade1

thanks for the compliments, I cant wait to start on that AS =)

as for the R27s good catch they are actualy from the academy SU-27 they are i think a beter representation then the ones offered in the mig-29.

What boxing did you use, if I may? Ukraine Flight Demo or German AF?

(EDIT): Just went back through my box of spares, and the R27s from the MiG-29UB kit are definitely finer. Finer than the R27s from a Su-27 actually.

(EDIT): Now I'm really confused. I have two kinds of R27 here, one with much finer fins than the other. Both are that blue color from Su-27 kits, but I've had both and never finished either, so cannot tell which missiles came from what kit. Though the R27s from my MiG-29UB are kinda wonky. The radome is a bit too bulbous and the main control fins are both too far back and too short in chord.

Edited by nightshade1

Its the German AF one.

Im not to knolegable on rusian A2A weapons, only reason why i used the ones from the SU-27 is becouse those where the ones in the picture =)

i think all mig-29 had the grey plastic and the blue was SU-27

i know the boxing had a bunch of the with difrent noses and what not, but yea those fins are overly think. eduard makes a weapons detail set, if it has enough for all the weapons on the SU-27's box it might be worth it.

those AM missiles are nice but at the prices they are going for i dont think i will be using them anytime soon.