1/72 scale Monogram shuttles

I built all four orbiters using the Monogram kit.

Here are some photos of the orbiters Discovery and Atlantis

et_model_patch_by_onigojirakaiju-d378fri.jpg

I fixed the rectangular panel by removing it and making a casting of the intertank stringers using Aluminite resin casting. The result is seen close up here

et_patch_closeup_by_onigojirakaiju-d37rk8j.jpg

Painted et_patch_painted_by_onigojirakaiju-d37rk73.jpg

And the back panel et_back_panel_by_onigojirakaiju-d38f43d.jpg The center panel on the intertank is thin styrene with the antenna from the original kit panel removed and placed on the new panel.

The other change is the LH2 cable tray that runs along the side of the two gaseous lines and LO2 feed line. The kit has it all wrong with this little part. I removed the entire strip from next to the two lines and placed a Plastruct C beam to match it to the LO2 cable tray. A photo showing the result atlantis_model_detail_by_onigojirakaiju-d30oz9w.jpg

For painting I used Testor's flat Yellow for the lighter foam color and Model Master's Chrome Yellow for the darker foam.

I still need to add the intertank access door and GUCP LH 2 vent. For those it looks like the stringers in those places need to be carved out or sanded down so the area is flat. Such as on the real SLWET http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YGHJ18yf3y0/TNQe...p_2009-2026.jpg

A diagram of the intertank vent to help http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/wp-content/...2010/12/a82.jpg

Here is a good reference to look at http://homepage.mac.com/georgegassaway/GRP...tleDataMain.htm

Here is an old photo of all of them. Discovery and Atlantis on the top and Endeavour and Columbia below spaceshuttlemodel_fleet_by_OniGojirakaiju.jpg

I'm going to later fix Columbia. The aged look is from dust since I've had that model since seeing STS-109 launch in 2002 on tv. What would work for a more realistic look? Some of the white nomex fabric insulation like that around the aft end looks dirty and old. I'm also stuck on how to remove the paint from Discovery's intertank. The paint on that tank has filled the spaces between the intertank stringers.

Edited by MarkD

No Rider, Gojira isn't. he's a 1/400 scale kit. :)

The rough finish is from the tape used for the AFRSI peeling up as the paint on it dried.

I plan to make a Amodel 1/72 scale Buran next. A nice comparing of NASA's shuttle and Buran. Too bad there are no 1/72 Energia kits around.