1/24 RoG McLaren MP4-25 Lewis Hamilton

With Formula 1 starting this weekend I decided to start my McLaren F1 car. Just got this a week or two ago and I think it's only been in production for a couple months. This is going to be my first car model in years and the first race car/F1 model in at least 15 years. I'll be looking for tips and support as I've not been this nervous about a model in a long time. I really want this to turn out perfect because I love F1 and this car and want to put it in a case and enjoy it for a long time. Anyway onto some shots....

Box and sprue shot

IMG_0914.jpg

Dear god the decals. There's a decal for every bit of carbon fiber on the car. Eeek!

IMG_0915.jpg

Glued some bits of the engine together.

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

In waiting...

IMG_0920.jpg

Test fit engine. Also glued some of the diffuser on before paint.

IMG_0921.jpg

So far the fit of the pieces I've glued and test fit is superb. The decals look superb as well and seem to be perfectly cut so there won't be any flash leftover. Instructions are well printed and easy to follow.

In almost every step of the construction though there are a lot of times you need to apply the CF decals to the parts as they go in. There will be many days lost in Futuring and re-Futuring the parts to seal the decals. I see this in no way being a quick build.

I struggle with patience.

lol

Kris

Zero Paints

(Although it's currently listed as out of stock).

Vince

Sweet and thank you.

Basically the way I figured it should be. Black base coat. Mirror finish. Very light chrome over top.

I see many trial runs in my future.

Painted some bits today. Got the engine done in aluminum and then mixed black with the leftover aluminum in the jar to make the Black/silver color they call for for all the black parts. Turned out OK. Tomorrow will apply the first Future coat to all the black parts.

IMG_0922.jpg

Been working diligently on this as I have new toy syndrome.

Engine is done and just slid in. The rear suspension connects to the engine so I still have a lot of work to do back there. Did some body work as well. Fit the inner scoops and exhaust vents. Also fit the main air intake and the side pods. Fit on everything is still superb. Dry fit the front suspension supports to the body and the body to the main undertray. Looks nice they did a nice job with this model.

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

I have to respray some black cause I missed some parts and also screwed up the cockpit. The kit calls for the seat to be grey which I painted then looked at pictures online and it was all black inside. Alas I will respray it black. I didn't think the grey looked good anyway.

Today I will start some of the CF decals as well so let's hope that goes good.

K

I started an official WIP thread in the in-progress section if you want to follow along there. I will post the completed pictures here as well though. It's a great model and the build is going perfectly. I may have it done by this weekend if I'm ambitious.

It would make a cool looking starfighter if you wanted to scratch and bash something together.