Howdy folks,

Latest on the bench is Tamiya's Nissan GTR

Interior is done, and just waiting for me to get around to painting the body.

IMAG1267.jpg

IMAG1277.jpg

All painted with Tamiya Rattlecans. Carpet is Flocked

Cheers,

Denzil

Edited by DDC

Today's progress:

Said body :bandhead2:

IMAG1336.jpg

Oh yeah, she's going matt black! The gloss areas will have carbon fibre decals over them. Tedious decalling ahead!

Now to figure out which way to paint the wheels....

Cheers for reading,

Denzil

Thanks mate!

Todays progress:

Decalling has begun. This could be a long road....

Carbon Fibre side skirts. I'm using Scale Motor Sports 1/24th High Def carbon weave.

IMAG1357.jpg

I didnt want huge shiny wheels on he finished car so i've been scratching my head as to what to wo with the kit wheels. Here's what i came up with:

IMAG1365.jpg

Using Bare Metal Foil (regular masking tape didnt want to stick properly) i masked the rim, then misted on 3 coats of Tamiya rattle can 'Smoke'. Maybe should have stopped at 2 coats, but oh well. They'll do. 3 wheels to go....

I wanted to tint the windows on this one, so again, out came the Tamiya 'Smoke' rattle can. Windscreen and outsides masked off and 4 misted on coats (ALWAYS go really slowly with this paint over clear bits. It's ALWAYS better to mist on 10 coats than pour on 1!!!)

IMAG1366.jpg

Interior is almost there, just got to add the instrument Binnacle glare sheild (It's getting some carbon fibre over it) then thats done!

IMAG1360.jpg

Coming together

IMAG1353.jpg

Cheers,

Denzil

Thanks Holmes!

Latest progress

The Interior is all finished now:

IMAG1406.jpg

IMAG1405.jpg

IMAG1404.jpg

I've been slowly cutting and applying bits of Carbon Fibre decals, and sofar so good. It's all new to me, but i'm using a technique i read in one of the Model Car mags. I thought, since i was going through it, i'd give an idea if anyone wants to try it too.

Step 1

Using some thin masking tape, make a rough template of the part you're trying to cover in decal. Remember that as you're using '2D' decal paper you can only stretch the decal to fit so many curves etc.

IMAG1385.jpg

Step 2

(Just to be confusing, this template is for the outer part of the rear skirt)

Once you have your masking tape template, transfre that to the back of your decal paper. If you're lazy like me (and only make a template for 1 side) remember to flip the masking tape over, so you don't make 2 decals the same shape!

IMAG1386-1.jpg

Step 3

Cut out your decal. i like to make a bunch of cuts around the outer edge of the decal, so if it does overlap around an edge, it'll have a better chance of sitting down properly.

IMAG1388.jpg

Step 4

Apply your decal.

I've been FLOODING these decals with Mr Mark Softener, just to make sure they sit down nicely.

And that's about it.

Back to masking those wheels!

Thanks for reading,

Denzil

Looking over those pics makes me realise how crappy and worn out my cutting bench is! Please excuse it, i think it's time for a new one :rolleyes:

Denzil

Just to show i'm not slacking off, here's the current progress with the decalling:

IMAG1469.jpg

The concave bit around the exhaust will have Baremetal Foil over it, so dont mind the missed sections

Cheers,

Denzil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry guys, Work has gotten in the way of modelling time!

That and i realised i've made a tonne more work for myself by putting the Matt black on first. I should have painted the whole thing GLOSS black, decalled, gloss to seal decals, THEN done a MATT clear over the bits i wanted non-shiny. Live and learn!

I promise i'll get back to her over the weekend :D

Mark, No, both the Flocking and carbonfibre decals were bought seperately. both can be bought through car specific modelling shops.

Thanks for the kick up the bum :D

Denzil

PS. Holmes, i haven't forgotten about getting some more pics of my Airfix Spitfire MK I !

It's fallen into the same category as the Skyline. Working 7 days a week SUX!

• 2 weeks later...

Allrighty,

Other wheels have been masked and more carbonfibre has gone onto the front bar.

Why oh why?!? seemed like a good idea at the time! ;)

Pics soon ;)

Denzil