OPERATION BODENPLATTE

As Leo mentioned, a pretty broad question. In very broad, general terms...

Units involved: JG 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 11, 26, 27, 53, 54, 77, SG 4

Aircraft types:

Late model Bf 109's; G-6, G-10, G-14, G-14/AS, K-4

Fw 190's; A-8, D-9

Markings: Typical late war Luftwaffe, most aircraft were lacking any unit heraldry (JG 4 and JG 77 being notable exceptions). Most, but not all sported RVD fuselage bands as well.

As others have stated best to pick a particular aircraft or unit and research from there.

Not meant as a flame but you might have better luck asking in the Prop's forum....some of the Luft experten don't use this forum.

You are right. I just tried my luck in 'General' because more people go on that. But next time I will go on the Props forums.

Thank you

Hello DAKfreak

Bodenplatte was quite an operation involving a large number of units and aircraft; would you be able to narrow down which specific units or types you are interested in?

Horrido!

Leo

Hi Leo

Yes, I agree; I am mainly interested in the types of german planes and pilots. Which pilots survived? What models of the Bf 109's were used? Fw 190? Also were heavy bombers and jets(me262, he 162) used?

Thanks

As Leo mentioned, a pretty broad question. In very broad, general terms...

Units involved: JG 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 11, 26, 27, 53, 54, 77, SG 4

Aircraft types:

Late model Bf 109's; G-6, G-10, G-14, G-14/AS, K-4

Fw 190's; A-8, D-9

Markings: Typical late war Luftwaffe, most aircraft were lacking any unit heraldry (JG 4 and JG 77 being notable exceptions). Most, but not all sported RVD fuselage bands as well.

As others have stated best to pick a particular aircraft or unit and research from there.

It is a very broad question indeed; I should have specified more, but as much as the units are important, I was looking to find different Aircraft types and Pilots who have Survived the operation. What was the difference between the G-14/AS and normal? Also I read that G-10s werent used, but what is your source?

Thank you,

DAKFreak

This guy is making decal sheets featuring military campaigns and has one called Bodenplate. Looks like it is available in 1/72...don't know about the other scales. I've found these sheets on eBay.

Clicky

Hi DAKFreak

If you are really interested in Operation Bodenplatte you should consider the Manrho/Pulz book on the subject which contains numerous photographs of both pilots and aircraft that flew on that day. The vast majority of the Luftwaffe pilots that flew were very poorly trained novices although various experienced aces did fly of which a large number were unfortunately lost. Pilots that flew the mission and of whose aircraft there exists information include Hohenberg of Stab/JG 2 (Fw 190 D-9 "Black <II" W.Nr. 210 194), Wagner of 5./JG 4 (Fw 190 A-8/R8 "White 11" W.Nr. 681 497), Kogler of Stab/JG 6 (Fw 190 A-9 "Black <-" W.Nr. 980 543) and Dortenmann of 12./JG 54 (Fw 190 D-9 "Red 1" W.Nr. 210 003) just for starters. The primary difference between the Bf 109 G-14 and the AS version was that the latter had the DB 605/AS engine fitted which featured a larger supercharger thus necessitating a redesignated engine cowling. They also were fitted with the "Erla Haube" cockpit canopy, enlarged tailplane and rudder fin and VDM 9-12159 A airscrew as standard. The Bf 109 G-10 was fitted with the DB 605 D as well as the "Erla Haube," enlarged tailplane and rudder fin and VDM 9-12159 A as well as often larger main wheels. Please note that late war Bf 109 subtypes were built by various establishments and the details of the aircraft produced by each one can literally fill books.

Horrido!

Leo

It is a very broad question indeed; I should have specified more, but as much as the units are important, I was looking to find different Aircraft types and Pilots who have Survived the operation. What was the difference between the G-14/AS and normal? Also I read that G-10s werent used, but what is your source?

Thank you,

DAKFreak

Still you are asking extremely broad questions, for instance:

What was the difference between the G-14/AS and normal?
What is 'normal'?, are you referring to a G-14, in which case the obvious difference is the G-14/AS has the more powerful engine similar to the one used in the used in the G-10 and K-4. The obvious visible external diffences include enlarged oil cooler and revised cowl shape. Or is 'normal just a Bf 109G? or what?

I am on the last stages of a 2-week road trip so no handy references, but I think something like 900 aircraft were involved on the Luftwaffe side, casulaties were heavy but several hundred pilots survived, either as PoWs or RTB so just saying you want a survivor still leaves the field rather wide open. There was a good book published 2-3 years ago on Bodenplate (link) and the book To Win the Winter Sk has good introductory coverage.

What was the difference between the G-14/AS and normal? Also I read that G-10s werent used, but what is your source?

Thank you,

DAKFreak

From a modeling perspective, for a G-14/AS you can start with a G-10 and make the appropriate changes (In 1/32 Hasegawa's G-14/AS uses the same sprues as their G-10 kit).

As far as the G-10, more of an assumption on my part. I didn't look into exact OOB's but given the amount of units involved I assumed that at least a few G-10's would have been present. Might not be the case though.

Hi Mikester

According to the loss lists for the units that participated in Operation Bodenplatte, Bf 109 G-10 fighters did take part and suffer losses. Units that lost Bf 109 G-10 subtypes include I./JG 3, I./JG 4, III./JG 6, IV./JG 27 and II./JG 77.

Horrido!

Leo

Hi Mikester

According to the loss lists for the units that participated in Operation Bodenplatte, Bf 109 G-10 fighters did take part and suffer losses. Units that lost Bf 109 G-10 subtypes include I./JG 3, I./JG 4, III./JG 6, IV./JG 27 and II./JG 77.

Horrido!

Leo

Thanks, Leo! Guess I'm not as senile as I thought! :huh: