Is it me or is the net getting more sluggish?

I guess it's me, but it just seems that a lot of sites are getting buggy and slow over the past few months.

I loved FireFox in the past, but it has gotten worse and worse with every release over the past couple of years and it looks like I'm just going to have to give up on it. I've been using 4.0 over the past few weeks and it crashes ALL the time. It will even crash when I leave it online and sitting undisturbed for a length of time. This leaves me to believe that it must be conflicting with something trying to update or run while it's online. I just don't have the patience anymore to deal with c r a p not working like it's supposed to. I'm only 55 but I'm beginning to understand why there are so many crabby old men.

I hate to give Google any more business, but it looks like Chrome might be my only choice.

That should not be the case with Firefox. I have 5 computers that I use regularly(two at home and three at work). All run the latest version of Firefox 3.6 and none of them give me problems.

1) Limit the number of add-ons that you install.

2) Restart Firefox periodically. I have a friend that complains about it all the time. He keeps like 15 tabs open all the time and never restarts Firefox (or his computer). I start Firefox, go on the web to do what I need to do, then close Firefox. I probably restart it 20 times a day.

3) Reboot your computer daily. That means reboot or turn off and then on again. Not standby or Hibernate.

4) If you still have trouble, uninstall Firefox completely and re-install it clean. (**back up your bookmarks first!**) You'll lose saved passwords. I use the Xmarks plugin/service to backup both and sync them on all my computers.

5) If all else fails, delete your user profile in Windows and let it rebuild a new one.

Edited by dmk0210