Trumpeter 1:32 F4U-4

Well I finally got to check one off the wishlist. The LHS was having a sale, and among the kits on the table was the Trumpeter 1:32 F4U-4 for $45 down from $80. I managed to talk the owner down to $30 because I was buying some other stuff as well, so I think I got a pretty good deal.

I like the size and detail of this kit, but man they really blew it with all those ejector pin marks. Just a little adjustment in the draft of the molds would have saved the details which are marred. But I think I can fix some of them (not that I'll be enjoying it, mind you . . .)

I do like the functional aspects of the model, like the rear landing gear, because I can better understand how they work. I'll have to glue the gear down, though.

I did read through review on Modeling Madness site and it looks as though I'm not the only one with problems. As I intend to build this with the wings extended, I'm going to forgo all the mid-wing details and just glue some shims in place.

I'll post some pics when I locate my camera . . .

In the mean time, anyone have any tips for this beast?

One bit of advice for the kit would be to get some aftermarket cowl flaps. The ones that come with the kit have such wide gaps in-between each flap that it is screamingly noticeable. I wish I could remember which aftermarket company produces it but do a Google search and you should be able to locate one.

Good luck with the kit! I bought mine around seven or eight years ago and it stayed in my stash until I sold it last year. There were just too many little things in it that I'd have to deal with that it just became very unappealing to me. Ejector pin marks all over the place. The horrendous cowl flap issue. The 10,000 pieces needed to build up the engine. When I bought it, I didn't do my research and I didn't realize how involved it would be. I bought the kit a few weeks after I had my first daughter and there was just no way I'd have the time needed to construct the thing.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes!

Eric

Some of these builds are also on the ARC WIP pages, but I thought that this may be easier to look through.

Corsair

There are some excellent builds here and on the LSP web site, so take a look and have fun seeing these great builds.

Edited by Av8fan

Good luck with the kit! I bought mine around seven or eight years ago and it stayed in my stash until I sold it last year. There were just too many little things in it that I'd have to deal with that it just became very unappealing to me.

I feel the same way. I got about 1/2 way into this kit and shelved it when I got to the PE flaps/slats.

I'm actually doing the Trumpeter 1/32 F4F-3 (early) Wildcat now, not as bad as the Corsair kit. The PE Hinges seem a little more palatable to work wtih.

One bit of advice for the kit would be to get some aftermarket cowl flaps. The ones that come with the kit have such wide gaps in-between each flap that it is screamingly noticeable. I wish I could remember which aftermarket company produces it but do a Google search and you should be able to locate one.

Good luck with the kit! I bought mine around seven or eight years ago and it stayed in my stash until I sold it last year. There were just too many little things in it that I'd have to deal with that it just became very unappealing to me. Ejector pin marks all over the place. The horrendous cowl flap issue. The 10,000 pieces needed to build up the engine. When I bought it, I didn't do my research and I didn't realize how involved it would be. I bought the kit a few weeks after I had my first daughter and there was just no way I'd have the time needed to construct the thing.

Eric

the -4 didn't have the same gaped teeth effect that the -1d did

• 1 month later...

from what I gathered on LSP there's a big fat problem with the engine fitting under the cowl on this kit and the F4U-1 kit . There's hope though because there's a AM cowl in the works by a LSP member. Here's the thread.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=29473&st=0