Supermarine Spitfires - Both Finished

Hi guys

Here´s my latest build to enter the bench. A double Spitfire build. Italeri 1/72 Spitfires MK.VI and MK.Vb

The MK.VI will be green/gray and the MK.Vb sand/earth. The MK.VI will be represented with closed canopy and the MK.Vb with the canopy and side door opened and the desert filter.

For the MK.Vb I added the Eduard PE set and some scratched detail, the MK.VI is oob with some necessary corrections.

For now the MK.VI is more developed and I getting it ready for primer. I added the panel lines on the wing/fuselage joint, the extra frames on the back canopy and I closed and hide the side door, these MK.VI used a pressurized cockpit, no sliding parts. On the cockpit I also added the back plate on the back of the cockpit.

To be continued! Hope you enjoy

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

Spitfires_01.jpg

Spitfires_02.jpg

Spitfires_03.jpg

Spitfires_04.jpg

Spitfires_05.jpg

Spitfires_06.jpg

Spitfires_07.jpg

Spitfires_08.jpg

Spitfires_09.jpg

Spitfires_10.jpg

Edited by Filipe

Hi guys

Here´s the latest developments on the Spitfires. I´ve added the air filter on the MK.VI, on the MK.Vb I´ve finished the cockpit, only the gun sight is still left out, it will be added soon, I´ve redesigned the air filter, italeri´s included filter didn't seen right to me so I scratched a new one from the included extra parts. Now the MK.Vb will have the wing/fuselage lines remade, such as the MK.VI did, and it will be ready for putty.

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

Spitfires_20.jpg

Spitfires_21.jpg

Spitfires_22.jpg

Spitfires_23.jpg

Spitfires_25.jpg

Spitfires_26.jpg

Spitfires_27.jpg

Spitfires_28.jpg

Spitfires_29.jpg

Spitfires_30.jpg

Hi guys

Here´s the latest update on the MK.VI starting to look like a Spitfire. Wildshield, canopy in place and the panel lines redone on that region.

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

Spitfires_46.jpg

Spitfires_47.jpg

Nice work sofar but a bit too enthousiastic using putty. I took the liberty to lend one of your pictures to show it:

vb1.jpg

That's where the canopy slides over the air frame and that slot is deliberately designed there ;) Next to that I see that you taped the rear window. As far as I know it is a single piece and not divided into 3 sections, but correct me when I'm wrong.

Cheers, Peter

If I remember correctly,the canopy rails on the mkvi spit were deleted.As it was a high altitude interceptor the canopy was installed by the ground crew.....Neil

Just checked on spitfiresite and you are quite right:

The H.F Mk. VI differed from the Mk. Vb in the following ways:

For increased thrust at high altitudes it had a four-bladed Rotol propeller of 10 ft 9 in (3.27 m) diameter.

To counter the physiological problems encountered by pilots at high altitudes, it had a pressurised cabin with a pressure differential of only two pounds per square inch. To achieve this the forward and rear cockpit bulkheads were completely enclosed, with all control and electrical cables exiting though special rubber sealing grommets.

The side cockpit door was removed and replaced by a continuous fuselage skinning as on the starboard side of the cockpit.

The canopy was no longer a sliding unit: externally there were no slide rails. Once the pilot was in, the canopy was locked in place with four toggles and sealed with an inflatable rubber tube. It could be jettisoned by the pilot in an emergency.

:whistle:

Cheers, Peter

Hi Guys

Thanks for the interest Peter and Neil. I have scanned these very interesting pages from aero detail 27 that explain the particularities of the Spitfire Mark.

You´re right, these MK.VI didn't had the standard sliding canopy. The windshield had inner bullet proof glass, the back window was reinforced with side frames and the canopy was bolted down by ground personnel such as Neil wrote.

On a trivia note, this didn't went well with the pilots, they complained about the high cockpit temperatures and the claustrophobic feeling of flying always with the canopy closed. In flight, It could be ejected, but not opened. This type had only 99 or so build and soon all were transferred to training squadrons.

Other main differences in the cockpit lay on the inside, but I didn't modeled any of them apart from the closed back part of the cockpit. I want to do this one with the cockpit closed and at this scale you can barely see anything inside it.

The MK.Vb, on other hand, is beefing done with the canopy/door fully opened.

Best regards

Filipe

Spitfire_MK-VI.jpg

Spitfire_MK-VI_2.jpg

Hi guys

Here´s the latest update on the MK.VI, painting under way! Going for the green now. I still have to go back to the light grey below to shade some panels but for now things are on there way.

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

Spitfires_48.jpg

Spitfires_49.jpg

Spitfires_50.jpg

Spitfires_61.jpg

Spitfires_62.jpg

Spitfires_63.jpg

Spitfires_64.jpg

Spitfires_65.jpg

Spitfires_66.jpg

Spitfires_57.jpg

Hi guys

Here´s the latest update on the MK.VI, painting under way! Going for the green now. I still have to go back to the light grey below to shade some panels but for now things are on there way.

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

Spitfires_48.jpg

Spitfires_49.jpg

Spitfires_50.jpg

Spitfires_51.jpg

Spitfires_52.jpg

Spitfires_53.jpg

Spitfires_54.jpg

Spitfires_55.jpg

Spitfires_56.jpg

Spitfires_57.jpg

Hi guys

Here´s the latest update on the MK.VI, painting done! Only a little bit of work on the panels left and it is ready for some dirt and final assemblies.

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

Spitfires_58.jpg

Spitfires_59.jpg

Spitfires_60.jpg

Spitfires_61.jpg

Spitfires_62.jpg

Spitfires_63.jpg

Spitfires_64.jpg

Spitfires_65.jpg

Hi guys

Here´s the latest update on the MK.VI, finished model! Finished adapting the Hasegawa blades to the Italeri spinner and glued in place all minor details, antena, pitot, landing gears, exhausts, etc.

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

Spitfires_66.jpg

Spitfires_67.jpg

Spitfires_68.jpg

Spitfires_69.jpg

Spitfires_70.jpg

Spitfires_71.jpg

Spitfires_72.jpg

Spitfires_73.jpg

Spitfires_74.jpg

Spitfires_75.jpg

Hi Guys

Thanks for the support Andre. The cannons were fairly simple to do, I´ve taken this pic to show you the ones I build for the MK.Vb.

They were all build from a streched sprue, while stretching it I tried to achieve the nedded conical shape, them it was cut to size, drilled and glued a little bit of an hipodermical needle on the front. On the back of the cannons I added a little bit of stretched sprue to re-enforce the joint when glued.

I glue them with white glue on the inside of the wing and CA along the joint. On the wing root, where the connons seat, I opend the holes, with the same size as the cannon and I added Tamiya tape for the raised panels.

On this MK.Vb I only need to sand it a bit and I´m ready for the tape and to add them to the wing.

Best regards

Filipe

Spitfires_76.jpg

Hi guys

Here´s the latest update on the MK.Vb

All necessary lines added, getting ready for primer!

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

Spitfires_77.jpg

Spitfires_78.jpg

Spitfires_79.jpg

Spitfires_80.jpg

Spitfires_81.jpg

Spitfires_82.jpg

Edited by Filipe

Hi guys

Thanks for the support Kevin. Not long now for it to be finished.

Here´s the latest update on the MK.Vb, all paiting and decal work is done.

Now, I´m going to apply the first matt coat and weather it a bit with watercolors and pastels.

Feel free to coment!

Best regards

Filipe

Spitfires_83.jpg

Spitfires_84.jpg

Spitfires_85.jpg

Spitfires_86.jpg

Spitfires_87.jpg

Spitfires_88.jpg

Spitfires_89.jpg