CF-5A nose colour

Hello Guys,I have a book called F5 Warplane for the world,by Robbie Shaw (Airlife),in it is a picture of a Canadian Cf-5a from 434 Squadron flying in with another in the back ground.They are both in the Grey Green light grey colour scheme ,the aircraft in the background is configured with a recon nose and the aircraft in the forground is a standard aircraft.Now both aircraft appear to have black noses.This is the only photo i can find with Canadian Cf-5's with black noses,so was wondering why this would be.Was thinking of makeing a 1/72 scale model in this configuration but but more pics just to confirm what i am looking at would be great.Many thanks Guys

Regards.....Neil

I'd be most interested in seeing that picture.

I've never seen a single picture of a CF-5 that had it's nose in anything other than a continuation of the overall camoflage pattern of the aircraft. that includes 434 Sqn. machines.

I saw a lot of the CF-5s from 419 Sqn and the AETE as I grew up only a couple of hours south of CFB Cold Lake and they would often come down to CFB Edmonton, near where I lived. I never once saw any CF-5 in the flesh with a black nose

Hello Guys,I have a book called F5 Warplane for the world,by Robbie Shaw (Airlife),in it is a picture of a Canadian Cf-5a from 434 Squadron flying in with another in the back ground.They are both in the Grey Green light grey colour scheme ,the aircraft in the background is configured with a recon nose and the aircraft in the forground is a standard aircraft.Now both aircraft appear to have black noses.This is the only photo i can find with Canadian Cf-5's with black noses,so was wondering why this would be.Was thinking of makeing a 1/72 scale model in this configuration but but more pics just to confirm what i am looking at would be great.Many thanks Guys

Regards.....Neil

Neil,

I don't know why the nose would be painted black but it was not uncommon at all to find CF-5's with mismatched nose cones. The standard CF-5 nose could be quickly interchanged with the camera nose, known as a Recce Camera Control System (typed CCS-1). Recce noses with a camo pattern that didn't match the aircraft they were going on was not uncommon. I have a couple of pictures in which the camera nose is completely white. I also have pictures of CF-5's with mismatched noses as far aft as the 20mm nose cannon, which is just aft of the nose formation lights. If you would like some pics just PM me your email addy and I'll send you a bunch.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Tom

I'd be most interested in seeing that picture.

I've never seen a single picture of a CF-5 that had it's nose in anything other than a continuation of the overall camoflage pattern of the aircraft. that includes 434 Sqn. machines.

I saw a lot of the CF-5s from 419 Sqn and the AETE as I grew up only a couple of hours south of CFB Cold Lake and they would often come down to CFB Edmonton, near where I lived. I never once saw any CF-5 in the flesh with a black nose

Hello Kevan,if you send me your email address i will scan the picture and send it to you,dont want to post it on here for obvious reasons....Neil

The CF-5 was delivered in the same scheme as most of the British aircraft around the early 1970s. That being a disruptive pattern of Gloss Dark Green/ Gloss Gark Grey, over Gloss Light Grey. Humbrol used to have these colours in thier range under the HX prefix. Around the same time the markings went low vis, the scheme was changed to a flat (or matt)finish. The colours looked a little lighter (kind of like the difference between your hobby paint sprayed flat, and the tonal shift you get when you spray gloss over top)

All of the single seat CF-5 were wired for the recce nose, and the noses were changed out quite regularly. The CF-5A, and CF-5A/R

designations refered to aircrafts configuration, and not any permament difference to the actual airframe itself. Ater the change to the ghost scheme, or three greys scheme, it was possible to walk out onto the 419 Squadron ramp and see any combination of Gloss/ Matt/ or light grey noses, on gloss, matt or light grey aircraft. (same with pylons and external tanks, including tip tanks)Attached is a shot from around 1982 that shows a sample of the darker, and lighter looking greens on the same jet. Look at the fin cap to see the newer matt green/ grey and compare with the rest of the tail. It is very easy to see how a nose still painted in the darker looking green could be mistaken for black under a different lighting condition.

3scan0080.jpg

Edited by ian_maw

The CF-5 was delivered in the same scheme as most of the British aircraft around the early 1970s. That being a disruptive pattern of Gloss Dark Green/ Gloss Gark Grey, over Gloss Light Grey. Humbrol used to have these colours in thier range under the HX prefix. Around the same time the markings went low vis, the scheme was changed to a flat (or matt)finish. The colours looked a little lighter (kind of like the difference between your hobby paint sprayed flat, and the tonal shift you get when you spray gloss over top)

All of the single seat CF-5 were wired for the recce nose, and the noses were changed out quite regularly. The CF-5A, and CF-5A/R

designations refered to aircrafts configuration, and not any permament difference to the actual airframe itself. Ater the change to the ghost scheme, or three greys scheme, it was possible to walk out onto the 419 Squadron ramp and see any combination of Gloss/ Matt/ or light grey noses, on gloss, matt or light grey aircraft. (same with pylons and external tanks, including tip tanks)Attached is a shot from around 1982 that shows a sample of the darker, and lighter looking greens on the same jet. Look at the fin cap to see the newer matt green/ grey and compare with the rest of the tail. It is very easy to see how a nose still painted in the darker looking green could be mistaken for black under a different lighting condition.

3scan0080.jpg

Thanks for that Ian,i suppose it could be the dark green,the aircrft in question is in bright sunlight with clear cloudless sky and at height,the contrast between the nose cone and the rest of the airfrme is very obvious,will send you a scan if you give me your email address.Thanks again....Neil

Neil, I just checked the photo you sent me by email.

The nose on the jet in the forground is definitely green. Possibly it is the same darker green as Ian was pointing out to you as the nose has a distinctly satin sheen to it while the rest of the aircraft is dead flat.

Neil, I just checked the photo you sent me by email.

The nose on the jet in the forground is definitely green. Possibly it is the same darker green as Ian was pointing out to you as the nose has a distinctly satin sheen to it while the rest of the aircraft is dead flat.

After scanning the photo and enlarging it i have to agree with you.Thanks for all the input guys

Regards....Neil