Late Corsairs

I caught an Italeri F4U-7 kit this afternoon, to build as a warmup for the winter's big projects, and I'm thinking about how exactly I want to build the thing. I know Joe Hegedus doesn't like the rear fuselage and canopy on it, but it was the safest choice for a Corsair available at the LHS - the other choices were Revell's F4U-5, a Hobby Boss Easy kit, and an Airfix kit. The first, I knew was too short; the second sounds like one of those models where all the fun stuff has been done already; and Airfix (and Heller) in a sealed box is like a lottery - some of their stuff is great, most of the rest is "how can they still sell this crap" level.

Anyway, aside from the decals it looks from the sprues that I should really be able to build any long-nose Corsair except the -5N from these parts, and only the flash hiders and the radar pod (which I have as leftovers and broken off bits from an F4U-5 that got mauled by one of my cats) would be required for that? Or is the kit missing anything else important?

Also, on the gray over white AU-1 scheme (which I really want to build sometime, but not right now), which color should the landing gear wells be, green or white? I've seen models with both, but no photos of the real thing in that scheme. (Are there even decals available in 1/72 for this, or would I have to scrounge?)

Cheers!

Regarding the gray/white AU-1. I would go with white for the wells and landing struts. This scheme was applied after delivery, and the paint specifications in effect that governed the paint scheme called for white wells and gear at the time. Barring a specific clear photo to the contrary, I would choose to believe that the painters followed instructions.

There were 1/72 decals for that scheme included in an old (like 20 years or so ago) IPMS-France vacuform and resin conversion set to make late-model Corsairs from the Hasegawa F4U-1D kit. Good luck finding one of those now, though-I still have the decals for that scheme myself but I intend to use them (someday). It shouldn't be that hard to print up a set of the unique markings though; they're just black letters and numbers.

You're right, I don't care for the Italeri Corsairs, but I will admit that as kits they are quite nice and go together well, so if one is not too concerned about them being accurately-shaped Corsairs, they are pleasant to build. Enjoy it.

Edited by Joe Hegedus

Thanks, I will!

As I said though, the selection is pretty poor at the LHS (they deal mostly in rail and r/c stuff), and since the Japanese kits weren't available, I went with the devil I knew... Would any of the other options (Airfix or Hobby Boss) have been more accurate?

Cheers!

SP

The old Airfix was as you describe. I suspect (can't confirm) that they issued the superior Heller F4U-1D in their "Aces" series boxes. However, certainly not a late one, and I rather doubt the Hobby Boss one is either..... just checked and they do a -1 and a -4. I don't know how good it is. There is a Fujimi -5 and a Matchbox -4, neither being good representations from the cockpit forward, let alone what they might be like elsewhere.

Ah - slight misunderstanding there. Those four were the only (1/72) Corsairs in the store period - the Airfix and Hobby Boss kits were some variation of F4U-1, but I've had really really bad luck with Airfix/Heller (my last two kits from them was a Hellcat and a Hawker Typhoon - the Hellcat was warped beyond recognition, and the Typhoon was a squeeze-fit kit with ginormous alignment problems and no detail at all); and the Hobby Boss was an "Easy Kit", which makes me think of snap-tite models. The Revell kit I knew was at least buildable, and the Italeri F4U-7 is basically the same kit with a fixed forward fuselage.

If there had been a Hasegawa F4U-1 of any kind, I'd have gone with that, but there weren't any (in 1/72 at least, and I don't classify 1/48 kits as "warmups"...).

SP

Question on the grey/white Corsairs...where the interiors left interior green and black or?? Thinking of doing the Hasegawa AU-1? Seem to recall something about the seat needing armrests as well?

The specification for the dark gull gray interior with black consoles and instrument panels predated the gray/white scheme. I think that's the way to bet on the interior color.

Wow thanks! About when did the dark grey, black panels come about? I assume after Korea...since most the GSB Corsairs (models) seem to have the interior green? Only the AU-1s were repainted in the grey/white? I've seen some discussion in the past about a few F4U-4s but not sure if that was true or a one off or parts off a AU-1?

Wow thanks! About when did the dark grey, black panels come about? I assume after Korea...since most the GSB Corsairs (models) seem to have the interior green? Only the AU-1s were repainted in the grey/white? I've seen some discussion in the past about a few F4U-4s but not sure if that was true or a one off or parts off a AU-1?

The cockpit spec change was dated March 1954; the exterior, February 1955. However, the airplanes usually had to go through overhaul to have the spec implemented, which might be a year or two after the spec date. There were gray/white F4U-4s: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=199110

I've seen pictures of the Bob Bean/Olathe -4 with the fuselage grey/white and blue wings and rudder. I'd always assumed that it meant that there was indeed some -4's painted like the AU-1 but I thought there was some discussion on if any of them ever got the full paint. I'd be delighted if some of them did since I think the Corsair looks good painted like that. Thanks for your information.