Laptop help requested

It's not recognizing my DVD/CD drive. It's labelled as my D:\ drive, but when I booted up my computer today I couldn't find it listed under "My Computer". I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium x64. Any idea how to get it back? I would like to play a game but need to use my CD drive.

Aaron

On my laptop there are 2 screws securing the hard drive. You could try removing the screws, pulling out the hard drive, reseating it securely and replacing the screws.

Have you gone to "Control Panel" and checked whether it shows up? There may be a way to "reactivate" the drive in those menus.

Sorry if this doesn't help - I just know enough about my own computer to do dangerous things to it.

Edited by SteveH

jester you neet to go to start menue and at the start search type in ( device manager ) then go to DVD/CD-ROM drives click on the blue + next to it and find your drive. If you dont find your drive there may be a seriouse problem. If you see your drive right click on it and go to properties. From there you should be able to uninstall the drivers for it and then reinstall them. If you can not reinstall them you might have a DVD/CD-ROM failure.

After following your advice, I see that my CD/DVD drive isn't even listed in the device manager. I know it used to be! I'm thinking its either disconnected/loose, or crapped out. Considering the circumstances and my recent travels, I think its loose or disconnected. It worked fine yesterday. I think I'll have someone look at it this week...

Thanks for your help.

Aaron

If its a DVD/CD reader gone out you should be able to geti it fixed fairly cheap. you should be able to get another DVD drive for it on ebay for under 50 bucks and reinstall it yourself. If you do this all you have to do is replace the drive and turn the computer on and it will reinstall the drivers automatically. This is another thing you could try with your currend DVD drive is to pull the 2 screws out and pull the drive out pull the battery and let the computer do a hard reset after about 1 minutewith the battery and the drive out put it back together and fire it back up it should reread the drive and reinstall the drivers as well if you do this and it doesnt work its gonna need a new drive. Metal detectors and any kind of X-ray machine reak havok on computers hope this helps if you need help doing it your self let me know and ill be here through PM so I can walk you through it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I fired up my computer today, and upon startup Windows 7 installed some new drivers (probably to do with the update I installed last night) and a message came up saying "DVD+ A installed. New hardware found". Or something to that effect. Now it works!

Aaron

you need to back up your computer first of all for anything important. From there I would do a system restore from a couple of days before you started having this problem. Just type in system restore in the start search box in the start menue and it will guide you through. That should take care of the problem sounds like you got ahold of a bad update and the computer didnt take it very well.

Jester what antivirus are you using. I just ran across another of your posts having issues with youtube now. from what Im gathering with the driver problems and the computer not wanting to let you onto youtube you may have a virus. you need to give me total system specs including which service pack you have installed if any. I have a couple of programs you can run to find out if you have a virus and eliminate it but they are a PITA to understand and use. I would start by going to malwarebytes.org and getting the latest version of their anti maleware program and run it. Its going to have to update itself as soon as you download it but its a great program. If it reveals nothing then run a full scan with whichever antivirus you have and make sure it does a full scan and repost your progress when your done.

This problem is very common for laptop and notebook computers and might be caused by a failed drive or by corrupted software. Try the following repair steps before you decide that your drive is bad.

You can also try to boot from any bootable CD to see if you laptop recognize the CD-ROM drive on BIOS level. Put any bootable CD (Live Linux CD, Windows XP CD, Windows 2000 CD, etc) into the CD-ROM drive and change the boot order to start from the CD-ROM drive. If you laptop starts to boot from the CD, then the drive is recognized in BIOS and most likely it operates properly. In this case look for a software problem. It might be necessary to reload the operating system to fix the software problem. If you cannot boot your laptop from a bootalbe CD, then the drive might be bad itself.

Considering that you are using W7, wich is a bit different than Vista, where you can manually delete registry entry, try the following:

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Hardware and Sound, click Configure a device.‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If you want to have control, click the Advanced link on a troubleshooter and then clear the Apply repairs automatically check box. The troubleshooter displays a list of fixes to choose from, if any problems are found! In this way you will be aware of what is going on!

If Kaspersky working properly, I am almost certain that you don't have problem with viruses, except... you didn't allowed some process or/and program manually, without knowing what are you doing when Kaspersky prompted you with warning to choose the action to perform.

Edited by bungynik

I would suggest that you go into the bios of your computer when booting it up. Watch closely when you turn your computer on and it will tell you what key to press to access the bios. In the bios make sure the drive is listed. If it is not listed there you can add it back in and that should resolve your issue. I have seen this happen many times.

Rob