Tinted Future fading?

I've been working on an F-14 build for over a year. I tinted clear Future with a combo of green and blue food colouring, to coat the cockpit windscreen.

54Windscreencolour.jpg

After about 11 months, I've found that the Future has now faded, so there is no longer any colour left - it's clear!

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Edited by JohnS

Food coloring pigments are usually "non-permanent"—you don't want them coloring your insides and maybe causing nastiness (enough of that around already). They fade over time, especially on exposure to UV radiation.

Try tinting with permanent inks or one of the Tamiya clear colors.

Try tinting with permanent inks or one of the Tamiya clear colors.

^ Tinting Future with Tamiya clears is exactly what I do, the colour choices are slightly limited, but by can get pretty much everything you need by mixing shades & varying the ratio of Future to Tamiya.

On tinting Future with Tamiya clear: If I add the clear to Future, I usually get some precipitate forming. The solution is to thin the Tamiya down with water somewhat before combining with Future.

Hope this is useful,

Marcel

On tinting Future with Tamiya clear: If I add the clear to Future, I usually get some precipitate forming. The solution is to thin the Tamiya down with water somewhat before combining with Future.

Hope this is useful,

Marcel

A better solvent for both is 90% isopropyl alcohol. Sounds like a marginal binder-pigment incompatibility.