1/72 Airfix Gazelle Upgrades

Hi Guys

I was just wondering if people are still building the old Airfix Gazelle?

She still is the only game in town in 1/72 scale as far as I'm aware but what if there were affordable decent resin conversions to spice up these kits?

Myself and another talented modelling colleague are embarking on a number of projects including a number of classic kit upgrades and we are just putting the final touches to some interesting sections, let me explain a little more;

Firstly we are 90% complete building impressive SNEB rocket launchers as used by British Forces in the Falklands War in 1982.

The SNEBS are complete but we are just working on the mounts, this should not take too long.

Secondly we have also designed the up-turned exhaust as used by British Forces in the Falklands, N.Ireland and in some cases the Gulf War (mostly French Army variants), there are 2 slightly different variants of this and we are hoping to produce both.

Thirdly we are mid-way through designing the recent large Exhaust "Box" type configuration, I believe these were used late in the N.Ireland mission and in the early occupation of Iraq (2003 onwards).

All the exhaust sections are mounted to new cast housings and can easily replace the original (& incorrect shaped)Airfix parts with no cutting involved.

Lastly we are gaining speed on the FLIR & Lamp fit for use with N.Ireland and Iraq missions.

We are aware there are two different variants of this so the plan is to produce an early and late variant.

There are no pictures as of yet, but for those of you who know us from purchasing our A4 Skyhawk Extended Tail Pipes, you will rest assured that these will be very accurate!

We would love to hear your input and comments guys :)

Hi Guys

I was just wondering if people are still building the old Airfix Gazelle?

She still is the only game in town in 1/72 scale as far as I'm aware but what if there were affordable decent resin conversions to spice up these kits?

Myself and another talented modelling colleague are embarking on a number of projects including a number of classic kit upgrades and we are just putting the final touches to some interesting sections, let me explain a little more;

Firstly we are 90% complete building impressive SNEB rocket launchers as used by British Forces in the Falklands War in 1982.

The SNEBS are complete but we are just working on the mounts, this should not take too long.

Secondly we have also designed the up-turned exhaust as used by British Forces in the Falklands, N.Ireland and in some cases the Gulf War (mostly French Army variants), there are 2 slightly different variants of this and we are hoping to produce both.

Thirdly we are mid-way through designing the recent large Exhaust "Box" type configuration, I believe these were used late in the N.Ireland mission and in the early occupation of Iraq (2003 onwards).

All the exhaust sections are mounted to new cast housings and can easily replace the original (& incorrect shaped)Airfix parts with no cutting involved.

Lastly we are gaining speed on the FLIR & Lamp fit for use with N.Ireland and Iraq missions.

We are aware there are two different variants of this so the plan is to produce an early and late variant.

There are no pictures as of yet, but for those of you who know us from purchasing our A4 Skyhawk Extended Tail Pipes, you will rest assured that these will be very accurate!

We would love to hear your input and comments guys :)

Heller has one also: Gazelle SA342M Scale: 1/72 #80284

Cheers

Adam

Hi Roy. The skids in the Airfix kit are not quite "right". They seem to be a little too high. Is there any chance you could tackle this area of the kit? New skids and maybe reproductions of the front doors would be nice, so you can show the model with the doors open, would be a good start for anyone building a standard Gazelle. Thanks.

LD.

Interesting news Roy.

This is my Falklands Gazelle, still waiting for SNEBs (and the "candle light" aim device) since 2006. I was looking for a descent Matra rocket launcher for years.

11858306.jpg

And as Loach said, the Airfix one includes only the tall skids, a short replace would be welcome (or do some surgery as I did).

Keep us in touch with SNEB news, please.

Bye for now...

Beautiful Model Gazelle! :)

..we are taking the Ski issues on board but producing a resin replacement set may not be possible due to weight issue's..

Here are some test shots of the Master cast before reproduction begins,

BTW its just one Pod not 6 in a pack :D

These will be perfect for Gazelle, Fouga Magister, Marchetti/Aermacchi SF-260 Warrior, T-6 Texan and JF-17 Fighter to name but a few.

Aaron1Jan2012002.jpg

Aaron1Jan2012003.jpg

Aaron1Jan2012004.jpg

Aaron1Jan2012012.jpg

..would love some feedback

cheers

Sounds and looks GREAT Roy!

Now if you could get us some 72nd scale up-date items for the Royal Marine Lynx and perhaps the the Bo-105 PAH-1A1 (weps and ECM lumps and bumps, etc.) we would have earned our place in Modeller's Heaven!

I'm looking forward to buying some of your sets.

Cheers,

Glynn "WARDOG" Jacobs

Edited by Glynn Jacobs

After nearly 30 years, I wonder how an 'upgrade' to convert it to the Blue Thunder helo would go. I converted one using sheet plastic back in early '84, but if I could get a few conversions, I'd make some WHIFs in 1/72 rather than using the 1/32 Monogram kit. (Or the chinese-made 1/48 kit.)

Edited by famvburg