1/144th STS-134-Pad 39A

It seems it would be OK to post this here(hope you guys don't kill me for using a paper model), This is David Maier's Pad 39A in 1/144th, same guy as Manfred, and in 1/144th scale(I hope). There are A LOT of parts, 50 A3 pages

100_3277.jpg

The printing is superb, and t is well detailed. I've started the FSS levels and girders(possibly the most exhausting part-you roll them all yourself. I don't think I will be modifiyng it that much. Currently I am at level 6, with one side of girders left.

100_3682.jpg

100_3695.jpg

100E3700.jpg

100_3696.jpg

I hope you all comment and enjoy.

Edited by maly149

It's great to see members building David Maier's Pad 39A kit here on ARC. I don't think anyone will think you are competing.

I really like the AXM MLP but David Maier's MLP and other kits take it to another level of realism.

Will you be building one of D. Maier's MLP's?

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks!! Yes, the one in the picture is an undersized(my fault) AXM one. The AXM one is more flexible in terms of what model you build(basically EVERY configuration) at the cost of the texture detail. I do have Dave's and that will be on the final thing. Luckily its MLP-2. =]

It has to be printed with the setting at NONE. NO margin, no NOTHING. It's pretty obvious when compared to my Apollo LUT. BTW, this was not Alfonso's fault, completely mine. I disregarded this, so Dave's MLP will be built after the FSS is done.

Oh yes, it's a wonderful model. Thanks for replying

as for the size....It's really only noticeable if the 2 models are right next to each other. Alfonso's models are great, although you will get a better looking shuttle(but with a ton more work) out of a plastic model.

One of these days I'll make an AXM MLP. I already downloaded all the plans from the site.

I do have a Revell 1/144 Shuttle stack I'm currently building. I'm using the Revell's (under-scale and incorrect) MLP as a display stand and am using the AXM download to make styrene TSM's.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=219720&st=0

Edited by crowe-t

The small generator seen in the last photo that has the four vents on the top is only there for rollout, not during launch. Though, I have no idea what the generator is used for during rollout.

Do you mean the large white box on the corner of Side 2/3? Then that is not a generator. It is a Mobile Portable Purge Unit or MPPU for short. The MPPU has 3 purge lines coming from it that are connected to three ports on Side 2 of the MLP.

The 3 lines correspond to forward, mid and aft purge circuits on the orbiter. When on the ground the orbiter is always connected to ground provided purge, either regular air or when flowing cryogens during fuel cell servicing and loading the External Tank, gaseous nitrogen (GN2) to reduce the fire hazard.

The only times the orbiter is off purge is during transfers from the OPF/VAB and during the mission. As soon as it lands, the orbiter is hooked up to ground purge and cooling.

I hope this helps!

Do you mean the large white box on the corner of Side 2/3? Then that is not a generator. It is a Mobile Portable Purge Unit or MPPU for short. The MPPU has 3 purge lines coming from it that are connected to three ports on Side 2 of the MLP.

The 3 lines correspond to forward, mid and aft purge circuits on the orbiter. When on the ground the orbiter is always connected to ground provided purge, either regular air or when flowing cryogens during fuel cell servicing and loading the External Tank, gaseous nitrogen (GN2) to reduce the fire hazard.

The only times the orbiter is off purge is during transfers from the OPF/VAB and during the mission. As soon as it lands, the orbiter is hooked up to ground purge and cooling.

I hope this helps!

Yep, that box. http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g334/maly149/100_3696.jpg

It's not there when it's ready to launch. Only rollout ops.

I hope this helps!

Thank you guys,

Mobile Portable Purge Unit or MPPU for short. Again which new learned, what for a great abbreviation for such a difficult technical term. :rolleyes:

:wave:

Thus one meets again, interesting, to pursue your Tower building. How highly more tower in the meantime already is your? You must strengthen it, or are that stably enough. How much divide has David Maiers kit?

• 2 weeks later...

Update, got to the Level 195(crew arm). One distinct advantage you Revell tower builders have is the ability to keep the levels level. In these pics(though not THAT apparent), the distance between levels 7 &8 is lower than the rest. Other that that............Diagonal Girders. AAAAAAAHHHHHH

100_3710.jpg

100_3709.jpg

100_3708.jpg

100_3706.jpg

100_3705.jpg

100_3704.jpg

Yours FSS build pleases me well. You will also still build or remain the stairs only in such a way as suggested stairs? Are you building everything after paper kit or want you also to scratch some details?

The stairs will stay the way they are, it would be too much work to make them the way I'd like(Like the LVM). As for scratching.......i start a project thinking that I'll do this completely OOB, and by the end............I'd originally planned to make my old Apollo LUT OOB, no modifications, and......100_3712-1.jpg

So maybe expect some scratchbuilding. And, I don't know the OOB equivalent for a paper model, so it stays OOB. :thumbsup:

Edited by maly149
  • 10 months later...