1/144 RC-121 minicraft help

It depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a dead-nuts accurate Connie? If so, you'll be in for a lot of scratch building. The basic outline of the airframe is okay, but just about all the detail stuff needs to go (IF you're looking for a dead-nuts accurate Connie). The radomes are all shaped wrong, the tip tanks are wrong, the wheels are wrong.

But you can put it all together and get a decent enough looking Connie. It all depends what you're looking for.

I'd at least get a Revell kit and rob most of the detail bits from it. I actually like the main airframe of the MC kit better than the much newer Revell kit. Revell made some bad boo-boos on theirs.

If you really want to improve the Minicraft dorsal and ventral radomes, the ones for the Welsh RC-121K/N is much better shaped.

Best wishes,

Grant

It depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a dead-nuts accurate Connie? If so, you'll be in for a lot of scratch building. The basic outline of the airframe is okay, but just about all the detail stuff needs to go (IF you're looking for a dead-nuts accurate Connie). The radomes are all shaped wrong, the tip tanks are wrong, the wheels are wrong.

But you can put it all together and get a decent enough looking Connie. It all depends what you're looking for.

I'd at least get a Revell kit and rob most of the detail bits from it. I actually like the main airframe of the MC kit better than the much newer Revell kit. Revell made some bad boo-boos on theirs.

Revell has a civilian Connie in 1/144. It hasn't produced a RC-121D in 1/144 yet. It much earlier produced a 1/128 Lockheed WV-2 Warning Star in 1957 in a fit the box scale. The radomes will be too large for the Minicraft kit. Sorry.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-128-LOCKHEED-WV-2-RADOME-REVELL-VINTAGE-1957-H174-NEW-/400294013796?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item5d3361eb64

Best wishes,

Grant

Well looks like I'm gonna be on the hunt for the revel kit, how off are the radome's?

Edited by gmat
  • 2 weeks later...