Only a few more hours til the start of Formula 1 2013

Greetings from Melbourne Australia! Yes the show has rolled into town. I have been at the track all day today. I lived in Adelaide for some time and their Grand Prix was much better than Melbournes. It had more of a party atmosphere as it was in the centre of the city.I hope you enjoy the race.

Greetings from Melbourne Australia! Yes the show has rolled into town. I have been at the track all day today. I lived in Adelaide for some time and their Grand Prix was much better than Melbournes. It had more of a party atmosphere as it was in the centre of the city.I hope you enjoy the race.

/shakes fist

Seriously jealous though enjoy the weekend.

I'm interested to see how well NBC covers the race. I hope it to be no different than Speed did but we will see. I don't think the season will be much different than last year since not much has changed in regards to the cars. 2014 is going to be a really interesting season. Especially the start when there are so many unknowns.

I may nap today and stay up and watch fp1 at midnight tonight!

I can't wait, I will be up for the practice at midnite. From what I understand Bob Varsha still has a year with Speed so he won't be there. I Hope they fill his chair with someone interesting. I am worried about the engine changes for next year, I had read Bernie E. hated the sound of them and may be having second thoughts.

Red Bull certainly looked strong in P1&2. I thought Hamilton made a bad move leaving Mcracing but that Mercedes looked surprisingly fast. The RB-9 stood out today but I think in the long run this season will be another close one.

I think Hamilton definitely got the best out of the McLaren. Something they will sorely be missing this season. Although it looks like the Merc will continue to be an utterly unreliable car so who knows.

Of course RB would be strong nothing much has changed since last season. Should be a fight between RB, Ferrari, and Lotus for the first half of the season and I think RB will dominate and win the championship with several races to go at the end.

Looks like Hamilton going to Merc might have been a brilliant move given how McLaren is doing.

Anyone see the Sniff Petrol season preview?

http://sniffpetrol.com/2013-formula-1-preview/

Edit: Very interesting race. Where did Kimi come from? Ferrari look for real and Massa seems back to form.

Edited by Dave Williams

Kimi successfully managed his tires to a two stop race therefore giving himself a cool 20+ seconds on the rest of the field. Quite a brilliant drive from a man who knows what he is doing.

Interesting race. I still wish they would make tires that could put the cars at their limit instead of managing tires every lap.

• 1 month later...

Pirrelli tires suck.

No, teams like Red Bull constantly whining about the tires when they are leading the championship suck. It's the same for everyone. Lotus has obviously learned to deal with the tires, and Ferrari to a slightly lesser extent. Red Bull and Mercedes need to man up and deal with it like everyone else. Everyone has been babying the tires. For this race Ferrari just went for it, got away with it, and proved that with the right car, they give you enough tires to make it through the race. Not saying there shouldn't be some changes. The tire delaminations need to be fixed, but I think that in the future, you'll see less babying and more racing. The whining teams need to get on with making their car work instead of expecting Pirelli and the FIA to make their car better for them and disadvantage the other teams who got it right.

As far as LH goes, Rosberg did a far better job in the same car on the same tires, so if he almost got passed by the Williams, that's more on him than the tires. Rosberg didn't get threatened by a Williams.

Edited by Dave Williams

True and I do get tired of the teams whining. But from a fans perspective I hate this kind of formula 1. I'd much rather go back to race long tires and see the cars on their limits instead of running at maybe 80% to save the tires. I don't see any other class of racing where the cars are purposely going slower to try to get another 4 laps. Watch a GP2 race. They're fantastic and they only need to change 2 tires during a race. Much better than watching a car slide around and go into the pit 4 separate times.

Rosberg and hamiltons cars were probably set up different. Or I think they were also trying a different tlstrategy with Hamilton and making him slow way down at the beginning and that buried him. Either way its embarrassing to have two cars on the front row and come away with 6 points or something.