F4u-1d cockpit color

Hey guys,

Sorry, I know this has probably been asked about a billion times but...I'm working on an F4u-1d crashed corsair for the bent wings group build. I'm using some photos from the recovered F4u-1 that I took at the Pensacola Naval Air Museum. I know it's a different variant, but that cockpit appears that it was painted black. I've seen a lot of people paint the 1D cockpit a green. So what would be correct for my 1D cockpit? It's not quite as important as most builds since a good portion of the paint will be chipped away or covered in weathering, but I at least want the hint of what the correct color was. Again sorry, I'm not a prop guy that much so I don't really keep up with these things much.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by niart17

Hey guys,

Sorry, I know this has probably been asked about a billion times but...I'm working on an F4u-1d crashed corsair for the bent wings group build. I'm using some photos from the recovered F4u-1 that I took at the Pensacola Naval Air Museum. I know it's a different variant, but that cockpit appears that it was painted black. I've seen a lot of people paint the 1D cockpit a green. So what would be correct for my 1D cockpit? It's not quite as important as most builds since a good portion of the paint will be chipped away or covered in weathering, but I at least want the hint of what the correct color was. Again sorry, I'm not a prop guy that much so I don't really keep up with these things much.

Thanks,

Bill

According to William Reece in his comprehensive notes on USN cockpits:

"F4U-1D Corsair. Cockpit: FS 34151 Interior Green. The area above the consoles was black. This matches the Navy's directives at the time very well. Inside of the wheel bays and engine cowling were also Interior Green FS 34151. Wheelbays could have been Zinc Chromate Yellow FS 33481. Landing gear was Light Gull Gray. After overhaul aircraft could have had the landing gear, wheel centers and wheelbays painted Glossy Sea Blue."

Pip

Awesome! thanks guys. So the answer is both. I like that. This way I don't have to be totally pin point accurate with what color goes exactly where. As long as I have green down low showing somewhere, that should be enough to hint at the painting.

You guys are awesome!

Bill