Testors Dullcote Troubles

Hello,

I recently moved from West Virginia to Southern Maryland to start a new job. Here, I got back into building model airplanes after a few year dead period. Of the four planes I've built so far, I have been getting adverse effects from a can of Testors Dullcote laquor that I use as a final finnish. The effect is a fine pale orange-peal finnish, though not too serious oncertain models. In Southern Maryland, the humidity sometimes seems to be worse at the time of year I built these as opposed to West Virginia. Could this be a bad can, or a humidity issue?

It may be a humidity issue. I have had similar misfortune with Testors dull coat here in Montreal. The worst was when I was into model railroading. Did a switcher in black, weathered it really well and then sprayed the dull coat. It completely fogged up and ruined the model. I had to strip it and start over. Now I use Polly Scale acrylic dull coat. Works great and is super flat.

Orange Peel Solution

You must Heat the Spray Can. No, not directly, else it will pop. Do this

Get a bowl, fill it with water... heat the water in the Microwave for about 50 seconds and then put the Spray Can in the water for about a minute

The orange peel finish will be gone and instead, you'll have an airbrush-like finish

HTH

Take Care

Hello,

I recently moved from West Virginia to Southern Maryland to start a new job. Here, I got back into building model airplanes after a few year dead period. Of the four planes I've built so far, I have been getting adverse effects from a can of Testors Dullcote laquor that I use as a final finnish. The effect is a fine pale orange-peal finnish, though not too serious oncertain models. In Southern Maryland, the humidity sometimes seems to be worse at the time of year I built these as opposed to West Virginia. Could this be a bad can, or a humidity issue?

Hey Steve.....

Where in Southern Maryland? I live here also and we have a pretty active group of modelers in the area in interested. We meet at Doug's Hobby Shop on Rt 235 (North of the Rt 4/Rt 235 intersection) the third Thursday of each month.

Contact me if interested.

Cheers

Here, I got back into building model airplanes after a few year dead period. Of the four planes I've built so far, I have been getting adverse effects from a can of Testors Dullcote laquor that I use as a final finnish....

Surely your can of DullCote is not from before the move? I don't know the specifics but IIRC paint has a shelf life after which is should be tossed and not used.

I bought the can after I moved down here. I followed MaRiO FDZ's advice about setting the can in the warm water and I think it worked. Also, the humidity was not that high this evening. Collin, thanks for telling me about the model club. I started going in April and again two weeks ago. I had to go back to WV in May. Were you there this time? I brought in the Dauntless, Oscar, the B-25, and unfinnished P-40N. I sence finnished the P-40N and it is now in the case at Doug's. Thanks for the info! :bobby:

Steve Workman