The Second Annual SW Virginia Major Power Outage is underway!

Nothing personal against anyone who might work for our "friends" at American Electric Power, but I'm so OVER this. Every time the wind blows or it rains, we now seem to have a major power outage. 78% of the county I'm in is dark right now. Many tens of thousands of others in the surrounding area. And this year it was nothing more than a "pretty good" thunderstorm. Far milder than many I've seen. Last year after the Derecho it was 11 days without power. This year, who knows? Last year one of their line crew supervisors told me if they spent half what they should on line and right of way maintenance they wouldn't have a tenth of the problems they do. But you can bet your boots the CEO and all his minions are getting their mega-bonuses, and you can bet *their* houses aren't dark. And hey, profits are up, and that's what matters, right?

I have power, but on the way home tonight, a large section of the roadway lights and businesses was out. I believe we have 17,000+ out in the county right now. You are right. This was not a huge storm. However it did pack a punch. My street looks like the trees got into a fight with a large cat and LOST! Cable is out. :(

Don

Municipal utilities are the way to go! Great service, low cost, and everything stays local..."profits" generated either go to immediate rate reductions or to investments in infrastructure to ensure low rates and good service in the future.

Been in our current residence for 12 years and I think our power has been off once, and just for about an hour, even though our area has been hit by tornadoes and other serve weather many times (to the point where we've lost 4 fully mature trees in our back yard).

Hope you have a generator, Jennings! Of course, it's not quite the disaster that losing power in the winter is, but still...my attitude would be: "no power for the stove or refrigerator? Awesome! Fire up the grill, and drink all that beer before it goes warm!" :)

Mike