USS Excelsior NX-2000

This looks stunning!

I'm wondering... in your research have you come across the reason for modifying this area on the original model for the NCC version? The images I have of the model when filmed for TNG don't show any damage to this area that might require repair/modification... and the changes weren't all that visible in STVI.

Just curious if you had heard anything about it.

The NX version of the studio model actually saw three names on it in the Trans Warp configuration: The Excelsior, as well as the Hood and the Repulse in early season episodes on the Next Generation. Other than name changes, the changes to the "conventional" Warp configuration with no painting changes were: The Bridge Dome, The round aft hanger bay dome to a box shape, and the removal of the single large Trans Warp dome for two smaller conventional ones.

The Warp dome changes were actually no physical change to the model. They simply made a tomb stone shaped panel with greebles on it (with the two-dome config) and placed it over the recessed Trans Warp trench. The panel was thick enough to make it flush to the surrounding hull details. However, that panel even came up a little short exposing the very aft edges of the NX details lying under it.

The model maintained this configuration for a while under different names... i.e., Melbourne and so on.

Eventually, the model received a complete repaint destroying the distinct original hull characteristics for ST:VI. My guess is the model was showing her age and needed a facelift for the big screen. The Excelsior as seen on Voyager was a completely different model built by the late Greg Jein.

Eventually the original studio model went through a big update with complete repaint and new surface plating and paneling details for the Enterprise-B as seen in ST: Generations. This configuration would later see the model as Lakota in ST: DS9.

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting this image again because I've made a discovery! If you look closely, you can see a thin silver line all the way around the blue field framing the bridge dome. This will be fun to recreate since Alps Printers that could print silver have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Note the railroad track paneling in the blue panels. Apparently, Bill George (the supervisor for building the Excelsior studio model) says these panels were painted using left over friskets from Death Star 2 in "Return of the Jedi". John Eaves is also looking into to these for me as well. He's friends with several of the original modelers.

I'll be taking a rest from the build for a bit. I'm away from home learning the fly the Boeing 777 for the next month or so. I'll be getting back to it as soon as I can. I still haven't cleaned up the latest paintings, and It bugs me. 

Tracy

IMG_20230910_213356743_HDR

• 3 weeks later...

Calling the master's pretty much done for top surfaces. There are blue panels that are on the sides of the superstructure that come next.

A lot of clean up and tweaking was needed. Some of the fine pinstriping were too big and had to be completely redone to fit properly.

IMG_20231022_005715637_HDR

• 3 weeks later...

I discovered a repeating pattern used in the Excelsior's trench (blackened in). The deflector grid is in 15deg pie wedges, but the pattern is only 10deg wide. This causes the pattern to vary in position from one wedge to the next. Furthermore, a copy of this pattern is cut in half width-wise to fill in under it for the inner half of the trench.

The plan is to draw this pattern by hand in my scale so it can be scanned and cleaned up digitally. This will allow me to make paint templates using a cutting machine like a criqut.

IMG_20231114_092251602

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Small update working on more graphics. The first image is the basic paneling that is under the impulse engine exhaust which is still in the works for proper fit.

IMG_20240126_000031127

Here the weathering details have been roughly added just to see if I can do it by hand with a pencil.

IMG_20240125_234051324

Side by side with my reference source.

IMG_20240125_234121551_HDR

For right now, the graphic only fits widthwise. It still needs to be shortened vertically to fit as seen on the studio model.

Tracy

• 1 month later...

Finally getting the back end on the superstructure shaped correctly.

Below is a paper template for the shape of the exhaust section. The Lunar Models part is nowhere near correct. You'll see me adding sculpting material to some surfaces and you'll see where resin material needs to be removed.

IMG_0678

A styrene template is made to go alongside the resin master as a reference on where sculpting material needs to be added and original resin material needs to be removed.

Like I said, not even close to accurate.

IMG_0680

IMG_0681

IMG_0682

The corrected shape for the rear of the superstructure is blended in with glazing putty

IMG_0686

The superstructure master is finally fully complete after a coat of primer to check for flaws.

IMG_0687

The aft end now finished, the footprint for the scratch built impulse engine exhaust ports is now realized, and so is the dimensions of the surface under the exhaust for the size of the graphics.

IMG_0688

The impulse engine exhaust ports have been roughed out in sheet styrene. I will grind them down to their final shape after the cement has cured overnight.

The ports are depicting by the vertical lines on the superstructure templates shown just above the ports.

IMG_0693

Upper surface contours added, more detail to come...

IMG_0696

Still roughed out shape with material yet to be removed...

IMG_0697

The bottom exhaust surface was added. To give strength and help hold its shape, lightweight filler was used in the cavity.

IMG_0695

Red glazing putty to fill in the scratches.

IMG_0698

After sanding the filler smooth...

IMG_0703

The 1.5mm styrene half dowel was used to add the final details to the top surface.

IMG_0701

The ports were too big, and the walls were too thin so additional sheet styrene was applied to the inner surfaces.

IMG_0714

The top detail needed more relief, so the ribs were masked off and a thin layer of putty was applied and sanded smooth. 

IMG_0715

IMG_0716

An exhaust port shown with the studio model.

IMG_0720

A test fit of the finished impulse exhaust port masters taped into place on the superstructure master.

IMG_0713

• 2 weeks later...

Grill graphics for the impulse exhaust. I'm no good on a PC so I'm drawing them out by hand.

?hash=a304e53040b4ac0b691844096d968272

Oval Template made to separate the thick and thin grill lines.

The ol' Elementary school making hearts for Valintine's Day technique to get mirror opposites.

Templates put in place...

Ovals left in place...

Tracing over the expose grid lines to thicken them up.

Oval templates removed... Not bad for free hand.

Exhaust ports placed to see how they look.

Courtesy of ILM Excelsior modeler Bill George, lit images of the studio model's impulse exhaust with my efforts.

These drawings - like my other graphics - will be scanned and cleaned up on the PC to be printed on to clear decal paper for the construction phase.

Tracy

2 hours ago, Vidar_710 said:

The ol' Elementary school making hearts for Valintine's Day technique to get mirror opposites.

Old school can be a fun school. 

While manipulating electrons can sure be handy, there is a unique satisfaction which comes from hands-on creation.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to the help of one of my closest friends, he decided that drawing the impulse grills "was not gonna cut it", so he got on his PC after I gave him the specs and made a few variants for me to choose from.

IMG_0802

Posted (edited)

I have finally moved on to the last section of the masters - the ware engine pylon assembly. This whole section was badly represented in the original kit's configuration. Here are the steps I've taken so far in fixing the shape and adding the correct details to their surface.

The middle blister was fine3 length and height-wise, but the width was significantly too wide.

The original shape in solid resin.

IMG_0854

Using a scaled image of this section into my scale, I made a paper template.

IMG_0908

IMG_0907

The template was traced out onto the base of the dome. Here you can see how far off the shape was.

IMG_0851

After the unwanted resin was ground away by a belt sander

IMG_0855

Now the new base had to be feathered into the rest of the dome.

IMG_0856

Results after careful sanding, shaping, and polishing to blend everything together.

IMG_0861

On to the pylons...

Ensuring everything is still in scale, the finished secondary hull master was pressed up to the screen to make sure the Warp section will be in scale to the rest of the ship. Here a paper template was made to determine the size of the pylons and their position.

IMG_0860

Pylon template.

IMG_0859

All the materials to correct the warp pylon assembly except for sculping and filler materials.

IMG_0863

More to come!

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

Grey strip styrene was cemented together at the right size to establish the correct wingspan. The markings are for cutting out trenches into the resin for 3/16" brass tubing. They will be sleeves for steal rod armatures during assembly on the bottom, and a single 1/4" brass tube for running wiring for power to the lights in the warp nacelles. Later on, I extended to bottom trenches for more support.

1715145877883.png

1715144679395.png

After the assembly was glued together, the terrible inconsistencies in shape and thickness became more obvious. The whole thing would need to be reshaped.

1715145966198.png

1715144734727.png

1715144770869.png

Here, sheet styrene with groves in it was selected to represent the grill details in the leading and trailing edges of the horizontal section of the pylons, and be used as a base for establishing a flat horizontal pylon wing tip to wing tip.

1715144797267.png

closer look... Two strips were cut for the leading and trailing edges.

1715144827694.png

Here they are glued into place using the flat surface of the table as a guide.

1715144856326.png

Styrene quarter round was cemented in place. These will be used to establish the new shaped for the cord (cross section) of the pylons.

1715144887711.png

Excess styrene removed.

1715144913063.png

Epoxy dough was used to fill in to the new edges. Only one section required resin to be removed by grinding and blended into the new edge.

Bottom

1715144973725.png

1715144994865.png

Identical jigs made from sheet and tube styrene.

1715146078991.png

Here they are inserted on the ends of the bottom set of brass tubing. This should keep them parallel in the assembly. When the pylon wing is finished, it will be cut down the middle of the grey styrene shim exposing the open brass tubing withing. During final assembly the warp pylons should go back together perfectly aligned with steel rod in the brass.

1715146053847.png

Here, the brass tubing is set in the trenches and glued in with 5min epoxy.

1715146098793.png

More to come with the vertical sections of the pylons and the 1/4" brass tubing for an electrical conduit for wiring.

Tracy

First coat of epoxy dough applied to fill in the trenches and secure the brass tubing.

Smooth On's Air Epoxy dough is very light, but also very strong. It will add to the strength of the pylons.

IMG_0921

Second coat of Epoxy dough applied to establish the new shape. When this cures, I'll come back to this to sand to shaped.

IMG_0922

In the meantime, I've moved to the Warp Pylon Blister/Junction to scratch build the grilled details under the dome. This is the same characteristics in the neck and Warp Nacelles.

The updated shape of the dome is used to trace out 7 layers for this grill detail. They were cut by heavy duty shears to get through the .7mm sheet styrene.

IMG_0932

Here they are stacked to be sanded to a uniform shape after minor deviations from hand cutting each layer.

IMG_0934

To make the spacer plates, 3/16" was removed from 4 of the plates...

IMG_0935

Then they were sanded again to unify the spacer's shape.

IMG_0937

Nothing is glued yet, but here's a test stacking to see how it came out.

IMG_0938

Back to the pylons soon.

Tracy

A small update...

Cutting the center circle in all the plates. This allows routing of the nacelle wiring out of the pylons through the blister/dome down into the secondary hull.

IMG_0940

Cementing all the plates except two using brass tubing as an alignment jig, and 1-2-3 blocks to keep the assembly flat to the table while it cures.

IMG_0948

Assembly complete - save two plates. One is .7mm like the rest, the other is .5mm. One of these will be the spacer between this assembly and the surface of the secondary hull. I'm looking more into this because images suggest that the spacing may be narrower that the spacing in the grill itself. Once I figure it out, I'll cement the chosen plate on.

IMG_0951

Final sanding to the horizontal pylon section is complete.

Top surface...

IMG_0943

Bottom surface...

IMG_0942

The scaled drafting of the templates that will make the 16 raised pylon panels (top n bottom). The drawing was scanned then printed onto thick card paper to make them more durable.

IMG_0946

Bottom... 

IMG_0950

Top...

IMG_0949

Thanks for lookin'. More to come.

Tracy

Paper templates cut out to see how things fit together before tracing the shapes out on sheet styrene.

Bottom pattern

IMG_0954

Top pattern

IMG_0953

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...

After a few bouts of applying fillers to unify and smooth out the surfaces, it's time to add the raised paneling detail. Masking tape was used to ensure everything went down in alignment.

IMG_1027

Top view

IMG_1039

Bottom view

IMG_1040

Finalizing the recessed grill details in the leading and trailing edges using a punch-n-dye set.

IMG_1033

Hand cut pieces in place. Smooth On Air Epoxy Dough will be used to back fill the hand cut parts for strength, as well as fill in the areas that are not supposed to be recessed.

Leading edge

IMG_1037

Trailing edge... grills are a bit different in the back of the wing.

IMG_1038

More work done on the junction dome. The hole has been drilled in so wiring can come down into the secondary hull from the nacelles. The brass tubing will be used to keep everything aligned when it is seated onto the secondary hull.

IMG_1032

As I wrap up work on the wing section, I'll be moving on the vertical sections of the pylon assembly. These parts are also way off in accuracy. I've already cut out channels for wiring and seated the brass tubing for added strength during the assembly.

IMG_1031

Images coming of the cleaned-up wing section before moving on to fixing the vertical sections.

Tracy

Posted (edited)

Leading and trailing edge vents completed. I added a little black watercolor wash to show the detail.

IMG_1042

IMG_1043

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

Moving on to the vertical sections of the pylons...

Determining the correct shape. As seen here, the blister at the top of the pylon is much shorter and thicker that what Lunar Models supplied with the kit.

Bottom view

IMG_1045

Side view. The profile is also inaccurate. The trailing edge has no taper. It goes straight up while the leading-edge slants forward - angle determined further in this post.

IMG_1044

Lunar came really close to getting something right. The angle to the vertical is very close. A slight tweak may be needed to the port pylon.

IMG_1051

Templates for the upper blister to the nacelle. Plan and side views.

IMG_1048

Removing what is not needed. This leave material that matches the width/cord of the horizontal section.

IMG_1049

As seen here...

IMG_1052

IMG_1053

The leading edge of this section of the pylons lean forward 17 degrees.

IMG_1054

With my templates made, now I can start fabricating the new/correct shape of the vertical section of the Warp Pylons.

Scenes-n-film to come!

Tracy